Friday, April 9, 2010

Two steps forward one step back






















I discuss this playbill below;
I didn't know how to get it where I wanted it.

Dear family and friends,

I suppose it's to be expected that the forward movement is not steady and regular, and I keep in mind that there IS progress every day. I did many things by myself yesterday: I put in a load of wash, transferred most of it to the dryer (I sit on my wheelie, as I call it, so I can reach). I made my bed (which I have not slept in yet) with the clean comforter that I have been using at the recliner. But though in the morning I had used Bill's technique for getting into the bed, at bedtime I found I could not do it. Probably I was too tired. Merwin was very leery about it. He felt it was too hard for me. I am going to practice with Bill when he comes, today or tomorrow, and hope for a move to my bed from the recliner next week. The recliner is perfectly comfortable. It's just my wish to get back to normal, or as normal as possible.

I have to deal with the probable fact that the prednisone taper is having an effect; I don't have as much energy as I would like. I canceled a visit to the dentist this afternoon, but I do intend to meet Gladys and Ilona and perhaps others for lunch at the Jolly Fisherman. I didn't practice getting in and out of the car yesterday, so I hope that will work easily.

Dawn came over after teaching her classes; it was a delight to see her. She had supper with us; I placed the wonderfully fresh fillets of flounder (wild, not previously frozen) that Merwin got from North Shore Farms into an oiled 9 x 13 pan, covered them with a little cheese and sprinkled them with pine nuts: baked for 15 minutes or less. We also had Merwin's salad and leftover veggies. Wonderful meal.

Dawn helped Merwin fold up the sleep couch in my study. Merwin does not have to sleep there anymore, and so the room is returning to normal: I am hoping that Dave will come and help him replace the rugs and table where they belong, but there is no hurry: Merwin has lots of work on his plate right now.

After retreating to the recliner in ignominious defeat last night, having failed the bed maneuver, I thought of another way to search for a playbill that would show whether or not women played the boy player who enters with the other players in Hamlet act 2, scene 2, and enacts the player queen role in act 3, scene 2.

I searched for "playbill" and got a whole book, written in the 19th-century. I jotted down the title and author and went searching for a Hamlet playbill. Some 200 pages in, page by page, I got my reward. Of course I should know that with Google, if you get something once you will not get it another time: I should not should on myself either, but by this time I was so tired I didn't have the energy. What I did I hope is good enough: I did a screen capture and got the image. I'll try attaching it here, too. But later.



This morning I went to the Library on Congress Catalog and the Folger Library Catalog to see if I could find the whole book. No luck at all. Oh, Google, why do you do this?

Anyway I got what I need, and that's the important thing. You will have to use a magnifying glass to see the details, but it's fun having this playbill.

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment