Saturday, April 17, 2010

Steady Progress

Dear family and friends,

Surprise! the day was spent continuing with Shakespeare work, telephone chats with friends and family, preparing and eating food, especially the latter. I am coddling myself by telling myself that I can follow my desires, eat as much as I please, and get in control later. My main goal now is to get stronger every day, and I think that is working. I walk better, and in general move around more easily. Still can't turn in bed, so the recliner remains my bed of choice.

Bill, the visiting nurse cum physical therapist, came yesterday with the cane with four feet and a regular cane. He says I may have whichever one I want but clearly thinks it is better for me to use a regular cane. He thinks that in two weeks I would be finished with the 4-footer, and so should get used to the regular one now. I am an obedient patient, and practiced yesterday with the regular cane, walking all over the place, including up the four stairs to the bedroom, with him right behind me. He also gave me two new more difficult exercises. Pain while walking with the cane was at level 4-5, but nothing unbearable. The pain, in general, persists in spite of 2-3 pain pills a day. I could take 4 a day but try to keep to a minimum, 2 if possible. As long as I know I am not damaging anything, I am OK with the pain that is a necessary part of the process. I don't feel it when I am totally at rest, sitting or lying down.

One of the main joys of the day was gazing outside where eveything is burgeoning. The flowers seem brighter in the rain, and the birds come constantly to the feeder that I can see from this vantage point. Merwin planted my favorites, Lilies of the Valley, that Toby had brought for others in the writing group who forgot them here. We have never had any luck with this flower, which for me is also a memento of my niece and sister. Maybe this group of plants will take. It's supposed to be invasive and hardy: not for us so far.

The flowers inside are also a delight. The tulips Louise brought me days ago are fading beautifully and gracefully. I wish I had a camera; I have never seen anything like the way they are going, the whole mass still perfectly (though differently) arranged, the colors muted. The orchid that Sophie and Brendan sent is blooming lavishly. It began with perhaps 4 blooms and many buds along the stems, and now these are opening one by one. It's amazing.

The day's main meal was from a recipe by Bittman, which Louise recommended. A local pizza shop, Abeetza Pizza in Greenvale, makes its own pasta, and it was the only shop around with the pasta Bittman recommended, perciatelli, a long fat hollow pasta. Because it's fresh, it cooks properly in about 3 minutes in boiling water. The surprise ingredient is sardines in olive oil. Bittman doesn't call for grated cheese, but we like cheese on everything pasta. You can find it at http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/30/an-easy-pantry-dinner/. This was a fun recipe, put together in about 15 minutes, most of it prepared ahead of time. For the first time I used the lemon zester Dave gave me; before this either he or Merwin had done the zesting. It is sooo easy with this non-lethal instrument, so unlike the box grater in which most of the zest remains pasted. This lovely instrument, shaped like a long knife, is called MICROPLANE zester/grater. Dave got it at Crate&Barrel.

After some further phone conversations with family members—sons and granddaughter Michelle last night (the latter an especial delight)—Merwin and I ended the evening with Bill Maher. He had a terrific panel (all liberals) and Bill was as outrageous as usual, with pointed, punchy comments about conditions today. It's refreshing to hear him and his intelligent guests—not always or even often all liberals. He had Jesse Ventura as the guest last night, and I was surprised at the attractive energy this man exuded. He is so sure he is right; he KNOWS the truth. His truth isn't my truth, but I had to admire his power. I understand now why he was elected governor of Minnesota, a major state, winning against the candidates of the major political parties. That doesn't usually happen in the US of A. Almost never.

Looks like another rainy day today, but we will be going out to the RSNS cooperative dinner tonight. We are bringing a Youngs Farm strawberry-rhubarb pie, and we ordered an extra one to put in our freezer. I want to begin to feel more secure when I am on the move outside the house—that will come with practice, I know. It's a challenge to go to the home of someone I don't know. But I like little challenges along with some big ones.

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment