Sunday, April 25, 2010

Rainy day, large black birds at the bird feeder



This is a group photo of the spinathon that I could not attend a few weeks ago. I had been hoping to go to the first session, at the JCC (the spinners bus from one gym to another, with yummy refreshments by Randi and raffles on the way), but the pelvis break happened just before it was scheduled. Some of the folks in the photo are my lovely warm friends in the spin classes I attend. They have meant a lot to me. If you click on the photo, you can enlarge it and then return to the small size by using the back arrow at the top.


Dear family and friends,

Though the skies are grey, this study of mine is bathed in light from the many windows and skylights. If one has to be laid up, as it were, there is no better place to be. We have been looking into an awning to shield the deck just outside the study to make it usable in the high summer days. After getting a thorough description and price from a Sea Cliff entrepreneur and incidental comedian, we decided we would make do with an umbrella that could be moved around to create shade where we need it. About 1/10 the price. We may sally out this morning to see what we can find in local patio stores—and do our bit for the economy without breaking our bank.

Laury came for a brief visit in the morning. Harvey arrived a little later, about 10:30 a.m., bringing goodies from Costco. Both Harvey and Laury sampled my breakfast omelet: asparagus, eggbeaters, and cheese. I make enough for 4 people because it is good hot off the frying pan or later, cooled or reheated in a sandwich. Our granddaughter Michelle arrived about two hours later.

I cannot say that my meals were very successful. For lunch we had pesto over strips of zucchini and chopped leeks in lieu of pasta. The problem was I used too much pesto for the amount of vegetables. I ate it happily enough, but I was aware that it wasn't my best effort. We had numerous side dishes as well. So the upshot was that we didn't have a real dinner: instead we had David Eyre's pancake (those of you over 60 may recall this recipe, which was repeated in the Times recently). I have proud memories of walking in the door after a theater excursion in NYC and making this for guests in about 30 minutes, from start to finish. I no longer had the proper sized iron pan and so had to adjust the recipe for the larger pan I bought. Merwin seasoned it the other day. I'll append the recipe below. Easy and spectacular. Harvey, who had his new iPad and cameras, took photos of the last steps.

We spent the day chatting. We even had an iChat with our Cleveland Mahatunim. Lee could not get out of bed this time, but we conveyed our good wishes. Murray, our Mahouten, looks exhausted, as does our daughter-in-law Sandy, her sister and brother. Thank God for Medicare, which provides hospice care. It's so good that the whole nuclear family can be together.

I regaled Michelle with stories of some of my unsuccessful job interviews: I can laugh about them now, but of course they were painful then. All turned out for the best, I am sure, even though my career took a path into Nassau Community College rather than into a university. I would not have in my life some of the dearest, closest friends I have if we had not met at NCC. I told Michelle about coming to the waiting room for interviewees for the one and only position for a medievalist in the NYC area and seeing that the search committee was doing the affirmative action dance: an African American man, a Chinese man, and me, the middle-aged Jewish woman were waiting for the interviews. I had a great interview, expressing my enthusiasm. The interviewers seemed enthusiastic too. But walking out of there, I just knew I had not gotten the job: I went to the store and bought a 1/2 gallon of butternut ice cream and ate the whole thing. All that seems so long ago and far away. Rejections continue, one way and another, even in the relatively benign world of Shakespeare studies, but I try very hard to concentrate on the positive, including my own joy in the work—whether teaching, for which I had a deep commitment and passion, or the academic work of learning, reading, writing, speaking.

I had the pleasure this morning of making Merwin happy with delicious (he said) French Toast. And my plan today is to get as far as possible through the Measure for Measure review. Tomorrow I will try to get photos from the theater.

Love to all,
Come see us!

Bernice


David Eyre's Pancake

Preheat oven to 425

Mix together 2 eggs, 1/2 C flour, 1/2 C milk, and
1 T sugar (I cheated a little a used about 3/4 T).
Strain into a second bowl if you have lumps.

Near the end of the preheating, put a 12" iron skillet into the oven to melt the butter. Tip the pan to get the butter to spread over the bottom of the pan.

Pour the batter into the pan and put on the timer for 20 minutes. Bake until the pancake puffs up. If you have an oven light and window, you can entertain your guests and yourself by watching the puffs appear.

While waiting, squeeze the juice from one to two lemons, depending on how tart you want the pancake, and place about a T of confectionery sugar in a little strainer.

When the pancake is thoroughly puffed and tan, remove from oven and sprinkle the top with juice and sugar. It will deflate immediately. Cut into quarters and serve on warm plates. Strawberries on the side work well.

No comments:

Post a Comment