Sunday, April 18, 2010

Social butterflying





Dear family and friends,

I am late writing today because I wanted to add a photo, and Merwin kindly scanned several for me, which I will append during the next week or so. Here is one of my dear friend Vaughan’s daughter Amy with her sister’s (Marisa’s) children: Audrey (in highchair) and Leah (helping prepare food). Good news recently came from this family: Amy's son Peter has decided to go to NYU this coming fall (he was accepted at a multitude of fine universities), and Vaughan will come to NYC when Amy comes to set him up. Amy, whose home is in Berkeley, has a gorgeous apartment in NYC (it belonged to her grandparents, Vaughan’s in-laws)—and if all goes well with me I will have another chance to see Vaughan, who now lives in San Diego. The last time I saw Vaughan, Marisa, Amy and others in their family in NYC, I was at a pretty low point. I thought it would probably be the last time I would see this family, all so dear to me. Now I have hope that I will see them again. In any case, it's such a joy to look forward to that.

Last night was a big outing for me: I keep on making advances in my healing and my bravery too. We went to our synagogue's annual cooperative dinner, skipping the part where everyone meets at RSNS for appetizers, drinks, and a raffle: too crowded, too many hours being up and about. Instead we went directly to the lovely home of Debbie and Joe, where we had the cooperative part of the dinner. I recognized several people, knew a few by name, including our beloved, bright, and slightly eccentric rabbi, who provided some mellow cocktails. A lovely time was had by all. The dinner was excellent, and the talk was even better.

I barely got out of our house in time for the above outing because I was totally engaged in the process of making corrections in the Enfolded Hamlet (my invention) that Jesús, in the process of preparing his modernized Enfolded Hamlet, had suggested I need. What an eagle eye! I got into a real mare's nest, and finally had to leave one record uncorrected. So of course when we came home, late, I had to go directly to the computer to figure out a way to make this particular correction. Done in minutes, thank goodness, because I thought of a shortcut. Then early this morning I sent my team a list of the corrections I had made for them and me, some more that our wonderful web master, Jeffery, will have to show me how to do or do himself, and a few that the guys will do for their sections.

Today we had another RSNS outing for an art show by Ilona, one of the regulars of the group who lunch monthly at the Jolly Fisherman. Getting in and out of the car is getting much easier. Since Merwin and I went early so I could wheel around without impediments and see everything easily before crowds gathered, we had the display area to ourselves. Mellow paintings: we put our name on two. Merwin said, "Why buy paintings? We still have many sitting on the floor and hidden behind the couches because we have no room for them.” But Ilona's are small and peaceful. I know just where I would like to put them. Anyway, reason not the need.

Just heard from our son Arthur and his son Daniel, our only grandson. What a pleasure to share some words with our guys.

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment