Sunday, April 4, 2010

Feasts for the eyes

Dear family and friends,

I am feasting my eyes on a gorgeous orchid, advertised as "easy to care for." Huh. That's easy for people with green thumbs to say. It has three magnificent vivid fuchsia blooms and many burgeoning buds. How nice it would be to keep this gift from Sophie and Brendan going! I will try. Advice appreciated. Sophie has told me that I should water it rarely, only once a month.

I quickly disposed of Toby's lovely primroses by over-watering. Phe's delicate pansies are still intact. Sandy's bouquet of cut flowers from 16 days ago still has a few blooms going.

Then there is the outside! I appreciate these inside flowers because I am not spending much time outdoors. But I also enjoy seeing the outside blooms: the three times risen-from-the-dead magnolia is now in bloom, as are miniature daffodils, full-size daffodils, a fruit tree, and many others. I can see many of these from the windows. I am going to get outside more. I can easily walk to the deck off my study. But I can also ride in the car now too. We went yesterday evening to Sea Cliff beach and relished the view across the sun-glistened water. We didn't try getting out of the car and using the walker there. I will wait for a few more practice sessions. I look pretty weird trying to get myself into the car. Lifting the right leg is painful, so I have to lie back and raise my knees. It has to be seen to be believed. Luckily for me I don't care about appearances very much. I could tell you tales of me in "I don't care who's looking" mode. Someday, in person.

Speaking of in person, I am very comfortable with visits from friends these days. Call before, because I could be out!

Obviously, I am enjoying my cooking, so food is not a problem and hasn't been since about day 2 when I could roll my way to the stove to make an omelet. Last night I tried a Passover version of pasta with parsley pesto. One buys a huge bunch of parsley for the Seder plate , so the pesto was a good way to use up the bunch. Not bad. But basil pesto is ever-so--much better. And real noodles are better than Passover noodles. I Googled "parsley pesto" and then chose ingredients I had on hand from among the many recipes.

Happy Easter to all my friends, family and acquaintances who celebrate this holiday in any way whatsoever. Happy Egg hunting if that's part of your festivities. It's a gorgeous day here: hope it's so for you too in every way.

And love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment