Saturday, April 24, 2010

Big Shop



This is a photo taken, I think, at Fairleigh Dickinson University in the late '70s. On the right is Harry Keyishian. I am on his right, and on my right is, I think, Joan Mellen. Harry is clearing out his files, having retired recently. We were having a panel discussion either of Kurosawa's film based on Macbeth (Throne of Blood) or on Kozintsev's film based on Hamlet.

Dear family and friends,

Merwin persuaded me to go shopping with him; he is a tunnel-vision shopper, looking for the items on his list and rarely noticing anything else. I am a rotating-radar shopper, looking at everything, choosing many things not on my list. Our cupboards are now full! Still there are some other items that Harvey will bring with him this morning from his local Costco in CT, and we have to go back today to North Shore Farms for zucchini, which Costco didn't have. It's endless.

I got the Chinese noodles for the spinach salad recipe from Phoebe, but could not find the canned mandarin oranges she had listed. So I peeled, seeded and cut up a small tangelo. Our lunch guest, Jay, who has had the mandarin oranges, said that the fresh fruit was far better: less sweet, more delicious. We also had for lunch potato curry, a recipe one of my sister's PhD candidates in physics gave her years and years ago: Was his name Koechek? There is no one I can ask. That's what death does: ask questions early and often.

His recipe is simple and delicious:

Saute cut up vegetables in olive oil:
2 big peeled potatoes
2 large onions
2 big bell peppers (I used red)
1 t or more curry powder
cumin to taste
red pepper if desired
Add water as needed to keep the veggies from sticking.
After this has cooked down a bit, add 1/4 lb sauteed mushrooms: I used a mixed blend of exotics.

Jay brought with him from the City a huge bouquet of lilacs, which are filling the house with their intense fragrance.

The working part of the day was short, but I spent it choosing and preparing illustrations for my essay. Merwin is a big help with that, scanning images carefully.

We spoke to a number of friends and family on the phone of course—Phyllis is getting better and may be going to her home (Tucson) on Monday, with the full panoply of helpers and helping equipment.Lots to look forward to today with son Harvey arriving from CT, and his daughter Michelle from NYC. We are cooking!

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment