Monday, April 26, 2010

Anticipating sunny days

Oh how young we all were! I think this photo was taken around 1980 in the Glen Cove apartment of Merwin's mother, Mina (aka Nana), who of course has a tape measure handy because she was always, after her retirement of about 50 years as an X-Ray technician, crafting or sewing or baking: busy constantly, generous with her makings. She was lovely in every way, a joyful person almost always. To her right is our dear daughter-in-law Sandy, married to Harvey, very much like her grandmother-in-law. That's me and Merwin to her left. Click on the photo to enlarge it; use the back arrow to return to the smaller size.

Dear Family and friends,

Although the weather continues to be dreary, we are anticipating the sunshine—and we decided to go for an umbrella for the deck rather than an awning. We could have made the decision in about two minutes: color, size, base style, accessories, but the salesman wanted to brag about his product and all its special features: "We have two gizmos; the other guys have only one.” Our umbrella will never . . . .” “The stand will always . . . .” One has to indulge a proud salesman. He popped the whole set into the car, and before the sun returns to Glen Head, Merwin will get someone to bring the base to the deck (it weighs 70 lbs: “Or base is the sturdiest in the field.”

The rest of the day was spent eating leftovers, reading the Sunday NYT, sending cards to friends who are ill, and writing checks to people to whom we owe money, having phone conversations with family, and working on the review of Measure for Measure. I have lots of notes taken after seeing the TFANA production, and as I weave these together with my thoughts about the play as I understand it, my ideas become shapely and interesting to me: that is, I learn what I think in the process of writing—a nice feature of being a literary critic. Harvey reminded us of Alfred Hitchcock who had so worked out the details of his films that the actual process of filming bored him. Not me. I do want to be finished, though, so Laury and I can go on with our work together on Measure. I am hoping that can happen today. But the first thing that happens is rereading what I wrote yesterday, refining (I hope), changing (not too much), developing skimpy ideas.

I tapered the prednisone today, now down to 25 mg./per day. I am feeling more confident than I have been before about the tapering. My breath seems pretty good. (I have to be watchful of the pneumonia recurring.) No cane yet; when I get it I think I will be more confident about moving about outside. I have plans!

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment