Saturday, April 10, 2010

A good day, a good night

Dear family and friends,

Yesterday worked beautifully. There were six of us at the Jolly Fisherman lunch: Lee, Phoebe, Ilona, Gladys, Rita and me. A delight in every way: the food is excellent and the company is even better. I got into and out of the car without difficulty, hooking the good left leg under the bad right leg to help lift it. It works like a charm.

Louise came for a visit bearing roses, which are now framing the window where I can also see birds steadily visiting the window feeder. Crackles have been huge black beasts on the delicate feeder, but the smaller birds are not afraid of them and come as well, especially the finches, whose mating colors are appearing.

Bill, the Visiting Nurse, came with a four-pronged cane and walked me to the bedroom with it, fingers just resting lightly on my back, not so much for support as for reassurance that he was right there behind me. I did not feel steady at all; well, compared to the wheelie, the cane demands much more from me. But that's what Bill wants. The struggle will make me stronger—as all struggles do? Once in the bedroom, we tried the transfer move to the bed, but I could not do it alone. I had already used up all my oomph just getting there with the cane. So I will continue to get into the bedroom the usual way, and continue the pratice of transferring to the bed. I was able to do it well enough this morning, and even lie on my side using a pillow for support. First thing in the morning is obviously easier than middle-on-the-night would be. One advance at a time.

I am getting more independent in the house. I was able to put in a washload and then transfer it to the dryer. I ask Merwin to do so many things for me that I want to try my best to accomplish anything I can. I am eager to get my study in good order.

Since our team could not meet at the Shakespeare Conference, I am putting together some ideas for immediate action. Jesús has many good ones. Jeffery, our tireless and brilliant webmaster, is enthusiastically on board, and I await news from Eric and Pete. We will proceed apace. If my energy level is diminished after the prednisone taper, I want to do as much as I can while I am relatively energetic. Thank goodness, the mood is not going downhill with the energy, which has diminished only a little so far.

And so it goes—a mix of domesticity, family, friends, nature, and work. The good things in life.

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment