Monday, April 19, 2010

Advances on many fronts


Vaughan with her children Anton, Amy, Marisa
c. 2007


Dear family and friends,

A couple of big advances today. Bill brought in his cane and suggested I try to use it to walk down the few front steps. Once I was down the steps and the short path to the street, he asked if I would be willing to walk on the road, which I did—all the way to the corner. He walks behind me and keeps his hand poised near my back, which gives me a feeling of security. Like any good instructor, he praises my progress. I had a question for him: could I try my stationary bicycle sometime? Why not now, was his answer. He called for a stool (up with the good leg) to start me up, then helped me position myself on it. The handles of this machine work back and forth as one pedals. He had me going for about 7 minutes, I think, starting at 2 minutes, then suggesting I try a couple more. I think he is getting ready to let me go. Am I ready! He will bring my new cane on Wed., and I bet he will say this is the end: keep on doing the exercises, the bicycle, the walking. I am still in quite a lot of pain. Today I went to a stronger dose. But pain is not the issue. I suppose I have to let him go.

I also slept the whole night in my bed. First time in over a month. Good and bad. It's hard to turn, and even in one position, the right thigh begins to ache (#4 or so). I did not sleep well, but I think I am going to continue to use the bed, though with the sheets for the recliner at the ready in case.

Sophie came for a visit, and we enjoyed a lot of chatting.

No cooking today: all leftovers.

Measure for Measure has to simmer for a few days. Today I worked on the web site and am proud of myself for inserting some good (I hope) new directions on how to use it. If you want to see, go to http://hamletworks.org to the section called Introduction (list at left of screen) and once there go to the 3rd ¶. Let me know if it is clear to you. Jeffery praised it, and that is good news indeed. He then improved the HELP PAGES (3rd on list to left) dramatically: Beautiful, Jeffery! All this was inspired by Jesús's insightful comments when we worked together here early in April. Thank you, Jesús!

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment