Tuesday, December 8, 2009

What a day it was

Yesterday, Pearl Harbor Day (do people remember?) was a day spent mainly sitting in waiting rooms waiting indeed to be seen by doctors. Merwin and I spent over 6 hours altogether, first at the orthopedist who administered the shot of cortisone, which may help my thumb; then across the hall, late for our hem appointment, where we got good news about the results of the transfusion. Full details will come today. But given my breathlessness climbing stairs, my hem sent me right over to get a CT Scan. During all this time we hadn't eaten, so thoughts of making the Bittman pasta dish were swimming in my head. Later the hem called to give me the good news that there were no blood clots in my lungs, but there were things that made her call my internist to get him to take a look and decide what to do. So more doctoring is afoot this week, I am afraid.

But the good news is that I endured all of this without any sign of fatigue; came home and made the Bittman pasta that skips the step of boiling it in water; did a very little work; watched a movie; went to bed late. So it seems that the thalidomide, which may be reducing my spleen somewhat, is also the cause of the fatigue. My hem will confer with Dr. Raza before deciding whether or not to continue with the thalidomide.

Today I go to a plastic surgeon to get a thing removed thoroughly from my chest, but I am determined to work as well. I could get sick of all this doctoring, but I am aware that it is all meant to help me feel better. And so it is worth it.

More soon,

Love,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment