Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Lots of doctors

Dear Friends and Family,

We continue to wonder what's happening with my lungs. The good news is that Dr. Raza from St. Vincet's CCC called today to say she was pleased that my platelet count had gone up, and she would like me to come in to see if I could get into the Incyte trial soon. Of course, the lung issues have to be resolved. So it's doctor after doctor. It was so good to hear from Dr. Raza, who loves Shakespeare. We went to the hem, who was delighted that my platelets had gone up to 113. This puts me in a good position for the incyte trial, if only this high will hold. My hem, Dr. Kurzyna, had consulted with Dr. Janus, and had convinced her that I should a biopsy while my platelets were in decent number. Then next month, I'll ahve another CT-scan. And so it goes! Dr. Janus also phoned late in the day to tell me to stop all aspirins. She will consult with my internist about that. Wow, can you just see it? All these wonderful minds and good people focusing on my condition.

In the meantime, though, I am feeling pretty good. The energy level is better than usual. I took a couple of short naps, but otherwise, when I wasn't doctoring, I was working on Shakespeare. Laury and I spent a productive 90 minutes working on Measure of Measure, delighting in the challenges of this wonderful play. I did some New Variorum Hamlet work as well: my resignation takes effect on 1 Jan. 2010. Until then, I am the coordinator. A great variety of things to do and think about.

Tonight, Dave came over for the Hanukah candle lighting and brought his dad a wonderful present, the best success Dave has ever had in pleasing his dad with a present. Ah-hem.


A photo montage of me in my study, nine of me! working at the computer, sitting and talking to other versions of me, consulting the folio, etc. Click here for the original photo in various sizes.


And of course I must not forget potato pancakes. I tried the carrot addition. It was good but probably I should use just a small percentage of carrot. EP, did your grandmother add one carrot per 12 potatoes? I did one for one. Believe it or not, I plan to make more latkes tomorrow if I can.

In spite of ominous things in my lungs, I am feeling very good about this moment and hanging onto it, rejoicing in family, friends, work, caring doctors, and all the rest of the goodness than envelops me—not the least of which is talking to all of you who are following my blog.

Love to all,
Bernice

1 comment:

  1. That is the most wonderful & fitting picture!!!! You really *are* nine people working at once!

    ReplyDelete