Friday, December 18, 2009

Answers, perhaps

Dear All,

Today I spoke to my hem, Dr. K, and the pulmonologist, Dr. Janus, and was reassured. This is my take on the situation now. I will go in for the biopsy on Tues and am confident I can also go to the theater on Wed. with Merwin, Florence and Elaine. The doctors will discover whether or not I have BOOP (If you're curious, Google "Boop disease"), which is the guess, I would call it. This is what one Yale pulmonolgist wrote to Harvey, our son who is at Yale in the OB/Gyn dept.:

Your mother certainly could have BOOP. Both the interferon and the thalidomide
have been reported to cause a BOOP-like drug reaction and it could be that it
is flaring with the prednisone taper. However, I'd also worry about infection
in a person with MDS and ongoing prednisone use. Some infections (like PCP)
can look like ground glass and can flare with prednisone taper. Probably at
least a bronchoscopy is warranted, if your mom can tolerate it.

My hem says I can tolerate it because my platelets are up and my WBC is down, though still very high. The follow up CT-Scan will be on Jan 7.

In the meantime, without the Pegasys and without the thalidomide, I am obviously feeling much better. Today was a normal day, with one short nap. Spin class, work, conversations, meals, the usual stuff. I prepared a whole lot of work for the grad student who helps me and accomplished other assorted tasks, including a little work on Measure for Measure; had a good session with the physical therapist for my right thumb, and am feeling more confident about the future.

I made the last and best batch of potato pancakes for lunch today. Tomorrow, we go to Florence's for her pancake party. That will be it for latkes until next year.

The love and support that flows from family and friends is bracing and therapeutic.

Love back at you,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment