Friday, December 11, 2009

Good Day

Dear friends and Family,

Thursday was a good day with lots accomplished, and fun too. I am almost finished entering the data for the last of the editions we plan to collate for hamletworks.org, the Arden 3 ed. Laury came over and read the Folio version of Measure for Measure while I read silently (mostly) along with her from Kittredge's version on my computer, which is our basic text for our Focus edition. When KIT varied from the Folio, we could decide what to do. I also starred lines that will need explanatory notes, and we divided the scenes between us for writing the notes. I must say that the book version of the New Variorum Measure for Measure came in handy too, because when KIT varied greatly from the Folio, we could check to see if he followed others or introduced an emendation. Lots of fun (I know, I know: not many would call this fun). So there we sat: Laury with the huge Folio volume, me at my computer, and the NV edition between us for reference: books and computers, both invaluable.

After our supper, Rick came over, our dear 5th son, as we think of him, and had his supper. He came bearing gifts: chocolates for Merwin and a case of red wine for me. It is so wonderful to see him happy and productive, busy with his scholarly life. He and I sat and chatted until my usual crash came at 8:30 p.m. In the process of clearing out books, Merwin and I had come across a brochure from the Cloisters. When Rick was a student in my Shakespeare class at NCC in 1992, Merwin drove a college van to the Cloisters for me so I could introduce my students to that wonderful place. Inside the brochure was the sign up sheet with Rick's name. We've come a long way since then, Rick and us.

My energy level is definitely better without the thalidomide. And probably the continued use of the prednisone also plays a role in ramping up the energy. Dr. Raza still hasn't responded to my hem, perhaps because she is at the big MPD meeting for physicians. I hope she brings good news from that source.

I am acutely aware of light and its play on the room, the remaining leaves, the bare branches. All these give me a huge amount of pleasure. I hope all of you take moments to enjoy what your eyes can feast on.

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment