Monday, December 7, 2009

Two days in the City

Dear Friends and Family,

The absence of the thalidomide must be helping, and maybe the trnsfusion too, because I was able to keep busy in NYC, with extended rests in between each activity.

Sat. night we went to see "In the Next Room or the vibrator play," a silly ineffective piece in our opinion. This was mounted by Lincoln Center at the Lyceum Theater, very close to our apartment, which was part of the attraction. That, and we got tickets at the last minute using our Lincoln Center membership card. Our main goal this weekend was to attend the NYPL gala on Sunday, but we find that traveling on one day and doing a major activity the next is the best plan. We had very good seats for this not so good play, first row mezzanine, on the aisle. Unfortunately, we had to climb all the way to the top of this beautiful old theater, then down to our seats. Stairs are very difficult now. I am trying to keep positive thoughts in my head, imagining myself having already reached the top, with a smile on my face. This technique got me up many steep hills when I was a runner.

Two things about the play moved me. Before and between the scenes a screen hid the set, showing trees mostly denuded, a village street with houses, and gas-lit street lamps. The colors and the season spoke to me. Then near the end, the static stage set rotated around to reveal a winter scene, with snow banks and snow gently falling. This brought tears to my eyes. Don't ask me why. I cry very easily at all times, and more especially these days. Afterward there was the short walk to our apartment.

The next day we treated ourselves to breakfast out, at the Bryant Park Hotel (after a walk around looking for other possibilities close by), next door to our building. It was delicious and cunningly presented. Since I could eat only half, I asked for a doggie bag. As we walked the short distance to our building next door, a tall, handsome African-American man thrust himself in or faces: "You're doing OK!" he said. Help me, I am hungry! I thrust my doggie bag at him and said, "Take this, then." He looked in an examined the colorful egg and potato dish appraisingly, visible through the transparent cover, and then agreed. All this took about 3 seconds. I wasn't thinking, just acting. We are always cautioned against giving money to people asking for it on the street or subways. I had just a moment's regret abotut losing my delicious snack for later.

At 1 p.m. we joined the long line snaking into the NYPL. The plan had been for Merwin to carry my computer. We would place it in the study room, then go to one event, after which I would spend an hour on the Times Literary Supplement. But at the door we were told that the library was closed for study: this was strictly a fun day. So Merwin had to dash back to our apartment with the computer. Once inside, we sampled some delicious punch, elegant cookies and crackers, and chose the one event from the many (social dancing for one) to attend. We had a guided tour that took us into one level of the stacks, not very deep in, but just enough to see how it looked: just like the Library of Congress stacks in the very old days when I (and others of course) had access to the closed stacks, a privilege no longer granted. The guide was the library's site manager, Stuart something. He was impressive. The one myth that was shattered was the one from an old movie we can remember: the runners do not get about on roller skates. There are millions of books down there: we saw a few hundred.

That was enough for me. We went back to the apartment for another rest, then a walk to the subway, a train ride to Port Washington, where we met Laury and Boris for dinner at a charming French restrurant with a fixed price menu: $20 per person, 3 generous courses. And a lovely surprise, Toby and Elliott joined us also. I was OK until almost 8 and then felt I had to get home. But once there, I recovered quickly.

Being able to do three things in a day—breakfast out, NYPL, dinner with friends—I felt very good about the situation. Am I feeling better because of the transfusion? stopping thalidomide for a week? Who knows?

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment