Friday, December 18, 2009

Slow Day

Dear Friends and family,

Today was a bit of a lost day. I decided that I could shop or SPIN, not both, so early this morning I hustled over to North Shore Farms supermarket, where I got almost everything I need for the visitors coming on Merwin's birthday, Dec. 25th, mainly Harvey and Sandy. What a joy to shop there because the food is so fresh and enticing, from fruit and vegetables to cheeses. Hardly any shoppers were there at that hour (7:30 a.m.) except the workers very busily unloading, arranging, stacking.

The menu for the 25th will be a few old favorites: curried potatoes, Greek string beans,and the new favorite, Spinach Pie, this time made with the right cheeses and the flavorful, fully grown spinach if I can get it next week. Sandy will no doubt bring a birthday cake of her own making.

Laury and I were able to work for perhaps an hour this morning on Measure for Measure, and then we were interrupted by a call to return to the hem's office for a further blood test—on clotting factor. In and out quickly was the word and hurry over. So after an hour's wait in the office, it's true the blood draw itself was a quicky. Then over to the pulmonologist's office to get all the directions for the bronchoscopy on Tues.

At home, I made a delicious lunch with largess from North Shore Farms: avocado sandwiches, on their flattish crisp chiabatta rolls. Directions: cut up the avocado meat by scoring the flesh in each half with a knife and spooning it out of the shell in small chunks; mix with a little finely chopped celery and scallion; spread filling on a roll, sprinkle with grated cheese, sprinkle on a few pine nuts, and I added a few basil leaves on mine, and a little mayo on his bread. Delicious, fast, easy, nutritious.

Then there was a long nap before readying myself for the party tonight at the Martins' home around the corner from us: last night of Hanuka. What a pleasure to have friends who also happen to be neighbors.

Tomorrow we leave early for a long weekend in the City: lunch with granddaughter Michelle, then Loves Labors Lost with Evelyn and Harris, followed by an early dinner with them and then home to #32 to watch the skaters in Bryant Park from our 4th-floor window. The next day Harvey will train down from New Haven and spend the day in the City with us. Dawn (former student a long time ago; virtual granddaughter; colleague in literature) may join us at some point; she leaves for an intersession trip to Hawaii soon, and we want to see each other. The following day, I am hoping to get in some NYPL time, but the main feature is an early party at the McLartys' lovely apartment off Central Park West: Kate has recently returned from an acting stint with the Shakespeare Co. in DC, and her photos show a wonderful vibrancy in a Ben Jonson play, and Ron has published a talking book: I can't wait to listen to it. It's called The Dropper. Then an early train home that evening to get ready for the next day and the biopsy in the morning.

So I have brought myself and you up to date: if all the above happens as planned, it should be a happy time.

I may not check in, then, till Tuesday night, after the biopsy. I hope you all keep well and happy during that time.

With love, affection, and all sorts of good feelings that warm my heart just knowing you are there at times, listening to me.
Love,
Bernice

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bernice....

    Are you feeling better? I'm sorry we couldn't meet up on Sunday. I'm looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks!

    Much Much Much Love!!!!!!!!!!

    ~dawn

    ReplyDelete