Sunday, November 29, 2009

Stirring day

Dear Friends,

The morning was taken up by an unveiling ceremony for our friend Beverly Freierman: it's a Jewish custom to unveil the headstone about 11 months after the death of anyone. The occasion brought back a flood of memories. I could hear Beverly's hoarse voice, her laugh, and see her expressions. We were college mates at Hofstra, in their evening program. She was about 10 years older than I was, very bright, full of energy. All six of her children were there today as well as many grandchildren, cousins and other relatives. I had the feeling that this would be the last time I would see these good and interesting people. The Dzens went with us; Eli Dzen and Beverly were cousins, though we met the Dzens long after we knew Beverly and her husband Homo. Both Beverly and Homo played the mandolin, he as an accomplished and brilliant soloist, she as a member of a mandolin orchestra. No need to tell her whole story here. We shared many occasions, parties, family gatherings, concerts, intimate talks at all levels.
***
Friends have been inspired by the recipes I have posted to try them or to suggest recipes of their own. Sons Dave and Lincoln made blintzes for a party, and the result was stupendous Dave says.

Here's a note from Sami:

Now when I find an interesting food project I also think of you and want
to tell you about it. One result of checking your blog frequently.
I had about a third of a bottle of dry red wine way past its prime, and
instead of tossing it, I put it in a small skillet with some raisins and
a few juniper berries. i let it cook down until it was syrupy, then
refrigerated it.
I think it's delicious. So far I've just had a teaspoonful as a snack,
added it to a small bowl of yoghurt, and had it as a relish with some
chicken and turkey.
(I started eating chicken and turkey when I discovered Stone Barn Farm in
Westchester, wonderful place. I buy eggs. poultry and vegetables from
them.)

http://www.stonebarnscenter.org/

I only buy Newman's Own organic raisins, (they have great prunes too).
Recently I've been using juniper berries in a variety of things, starting
when I looked up recipes for chicken and turkey in Bittman's book "How To
Cook Everything". Great book.
The turkey recipe uses juniper berries and orange peel, among other things.

Thanks for adding to the store of recipes, Sami.
***
Tomorrow I see my doctor, and given the negative effects the T&P are having on me I am hoping she will agree to take me off of them. Do I really want to use the time remaining feeling so rotten? It would be different if the meds would actually lead to something positive. Since there is no cure, quality of life has to be paramount.

I am continuing to limp along on hamletworks.org, but that's about all I can handle right now.

Still, I have to report that there is a smile on my face because I know that so many are listening to me, complaints and all.

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment