Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Good and bad go together, of course

Hi, friends and family,

I know that I am doing better these days because I have no fevers! Lately, it has really been normal 98.6 or lower. I used to consider anything under 100 normal, but this is a new development and leads to more energy, less fatigue, and when I am tired it seems of shorter duration. So hooray. I don't think this has anything to do with T&P because it started to go down before I began the new meds. The swelling in the lower limbs has not reoccured for the last two nights: maybe the spleen is shrinking?

Consider this: a few weeks ago, I wasn't sure that I would be able to go to the Columbia Shakespeare Seminar meeting this coming Friday, but now I am confidant that I can be there, do the introductions of the speakers, and have a good time seeing friends and colleagues. I feel alert and happy.

This morning, I am going to mail the essay I have been working on, and then I am going to try to forget it until I get the word from the journal: accepted; accepted with changes; not accepted. The good thing is that even if it's not accepted, the readers will probably provide some comments that will help me in my next revision. It's so great to get this project out of the way, at least temporarily. It was one of the three jobs I wanted to get done before—you know what. Two out of three are now out of the way.

But of course, I am adding new jobs: I am writing a seminar paper on Measure for Measure for the annual Shakespeare Meeting in the spring. I didn't think that I would be able to attend that when I committed to the paper, but now I am actually thinking that I will be able to be there. How happy I was to attend it last spring, even though I lasted only one day. How great it would be to attend again, especially to see my New Variorum team mates.

And Laury Magnus and I are co-editing Measure for Measure for Focus—my 3rd play for them, and I think Laury's 5th or 6th.

All this is good. What's bad? Well temporarily, I hope, the arthritis in both my thumbs is holding me back. Thanks goodness I never learned to type, so I am still in four-finger mode, never using the thumbs. I am having some dizziness, which is listed as one of the side effects of T&P. So I am a little unsteady on my feet. I appreciate Merwin's arm when we are together, and when we are not I am very cautious about where I step.

I am looking forward to some good things: at last we are taking advantage of Optonline's free Tues. movies and will attend one this afternoon. Tomorrow, Joe D will visit here, and I am looking forward to making lunch for him, Merwin and me. But more about that when it comes.

In the meantime, thanks all for listening; it helps me to know you're there.

Love to all,
Bernice

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you're feeling better!

    Would you like some company at the Shakespeare Seminar? <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete