Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Cures, food, movie, MPD conference

Dear friends and family,

Joan Lehn told me about eating a teaspoonful of mustard to combat cramps. It seemed to work twice, but I wasn't sure whether it was the walk from the bedroom to the kitchen and back that did it or the mustard. Anyway, the 3rd time it did not work. I am trying the magnesium my Dr. suggested, but so far that hasn't worked either. This does not happen every night, and I can't tell what sets it off.

Another recipe to share: At North Shore Farms as we arrived the other afternoon, big beautiful cauliflowers, absolutely pristinely white, were being loaded for display. I picked one, and cooked all of it, using some as a side vegetable that night. Then I pureed a bunch for a soup I was making for today (Wed.). There was still quite a lot of cauliflower left, so I thought of combining the English egg recipe with the cauliflower: Easy, ready in minutes. I layered the remaining cauliflower in the bottom of a casserole, topped it with 4 eggs, cheese, and a little half and half, some pepper. I covered the casserole and microwaved for 10 minutes: that's for hard eggs. Om the meantime, I heated the broiler, and when the eggs were done, I put them under the broiler to brown for about 2 minutes. Delicious! A great success.

We did go to the movie, A Serious Man, for which we paid nothing thanks to our optonline card, and we found the Roslyn movie theater more comfortable than we had remembered. I loved the opening: the Yiddish, which I could understand (it was subtitled but did not exactly capture the flavor), the dour wife, the happy husband, the guest. Moments were funny, painful, sad, unbelievable. In retrospect it was a misogynistic film: every woman in it was someone you wouldn't want to know. But on reflection I had to admit that this was true for every one of the men also. Nevertheless, it was what I would call "a good movie experience."

Today I had my bi-annual visit to my dermatologist, wondering why I was bothering. But I made an appointment for the next visit too. Then to the PT for a 3rd session. My thumbs do feel better. I screech in pain only when I do something I shouldn't, but I can't always tell ahead of time what that something is.

I'll be in the City for a couple of days, so unless I learn how to write my blog from there, you'll hear from me on the weekend.

Love to all,
Bernice

Anyone who wants or needs to know about MPD diseases, of which I have one or two (not sure), might be interested in this webcast: it was a long day of lectures and Q&As, so you'd best skim:

The presentations and Q&A from the 5th Annual MPD Foundation & CR&T Fund MPD Symposium are now available on the MPD Foundation's website.  

For security you will be asked to provide your email and name before viewing the web-cast. This information will remain private and will not be shared. 

Whether you were able to attend or not, please take advantage of this opportunity to learn from MPD experts.

No comments:

Post a Comment