Monday, November 30, 2009

Rollarcoaster rides all the time

Dear Everyone,

Merwin and I were watching the Newshour on PBS as is our wont every weekday evening, and we were thrilled to see that Marie Ponsot, poet, teacher, mentor, scholar was honored on the occasion of her 88th birthday for her poetry. They left out all her myriad achievements in so many arenas, but we saw her in her NYC garden, on the street walking briskly, in her book-lined study writing a poem in long hand on a yellow pad, displaying photos of her fantastic family (7 children, countless grandchildren and great-grandchildren), and reading some poems from her newest book of poems. They didn't show her in her classrooms, where she still teaches writers, and that would have been something to capture for the ages.

I met Marie in 1969 at Queens College, where she was the single most influence on my teaching and approach to students. I am proud that I nominated her book Beat Not the Poor Desk, co-authored with a colleague, for the Mina Shaunghassey Award (which she received) given to the outstanding book on teaching by the Modern Language Association. The award-winning book is well worth reading at every level of teaching. It is about empowering students and joining with them in the process of writing and listening.

Marie was also an excellent scholar, and in courses I taught in medieval literature I would invite her to share her wisdom about Marie de France, whose poems she had translated.

So Seeing Marie on TV was a nice ending to the day. It began well enough too, with my first trial of wrist weights for the gym class, to avoid using my sore thumbs. I had to ask Murray, who stands next to me, to tighten them, but he is so accommodating, I don't think he minded. Then coffee at Gila's cafe with Elaine, Florence, and Gloria from the class.

The trip to the hem was a bit stressful. The verdict is that I have reached the last stage of bone marrow productivity, the spent stage. The good news is that I go off the thalidomide for 3 days and get a blood transfusion at Long Island Jewish Hospital on Wednesday a.m. Maybe 3 days without the thalidomide will give me a rest. And maybe the blood will beef me up. My hem will call Dr. Raza at St Vincent's CCC to see if there are any other choices available. My platelets have gone up a little but not enough to get me into the INCYTE trial. What I most wish for is continued productivity and joy in work and play, people and places, in whatever time I have left.

Here is a recipe from Jessica:

Mash steamed cauliflower with an electric hand mixer; add a little smart balance, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. For an extra touch add non-fat yogurt and fresh chopped chives.

Thanks Jessica. I think I will include any recipes that people send to me, without bothering to ask permission.

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment