Friday, November 20, 2009

Good news

We went to our hem today, and she was pleased that my platelets have gone up, now about 65; if and when they reach 100, I can be considered for the INCYTE trial. The fatigue I have been experiencing is not because the condition has worsened, as I had feared, but because of the thalidomide: it's a side effect. The prednisone is supposed to counteract that, but evidently is not working all that well. Though who knows how bad it would be without the P. So ever onward.

Counting on the pattern of the last several days, with improvement in the evening, we are going to Sabbath supper at our synagogue and maybe even to services after, which is going to be 100% singing. I love the singing. Maybe I can even join in. Being with people is energizing for me, so I have to fight the urge to curl up in a ball on my bed.

Vaughan asked me about the high window in the bedroom I mentioned in yesterday's post. Yes, that is new. We decided to get rid of our inefficient air conditioners and get much more energy efficient ones, with a $1500 rebate (more on that at a later date when and if we actually get that). We got 4 Mitsubishi air conditioners that are almost totally silent because the compressors are outside. They are small units installed high up near the ceiling in 4 rooms. Anyway, the installer had the bright idea of filling the hole that the old air conditioner had made in the bedroom wall with a window of the same size. Who knew what a delight that would be? And the air conditioners help me to breathe when I feel I am suffocating, without filling the room with a rush of air and noise. A good move.

I am gearing up for my work with Laury on Measure for Measure, one of my favorite plays. I still haven't signed the contract, but I think I am ready to do that now. The work on hamletworks.org continues, at least in the thinking-about-it stage. Then there is the essay for the conference in the spring, also on Measure for Measure, which makes real sense, given that we are working on the edition: the essay and the edition will overlap.

We continue to be amazed at our weather and with the leaves that remain green, yellow and even red, now somewhat sparse. I am continuing with the recipes, but will save the next ones for future posts.

Love to all,
Bernice

2 comments:

  1. Hiya Bernice,

    Guess what came in the morning's mail--the contract from Focus for us both to sign for Measure for Measure--it's a sign.

    Love,
    Laury

    ReplyDelete