Saturday, May 8, 2010

A walk in the garden

Dear family and friends,

I had my first walk in the garden yesterday, carefully negotiating the terrain with my sturdy cane. Merwin had gotten a new Clematis plant to replace the one the garden man had killed by over-cultivating and destroying the delicate roots. Now Merwin has two again, framing his study's windows, looking out on the back garden. He is there now, planting the last of two tomato plants. It was a great pleasure to walk among the trees and shrubs that our son Dave had planted for us. He designed the garden for beauty, longevity and attractiveness to birds and butterflies. It's magical.

I visited the tiny pond but now the lily pads and other water plants give the 6 fish many places to hide and I saw none. Perhaps if I sat on the bench for a while, they would show themselves. Merwin doesn't feed them or do anything but add water when it evaporates. Dave built it to be self-sustaining. The fish are very good at handling the mosquitoes that appear later in the summer.

I noticed that the asparagus plant next to the pond had shot up to about 5 ft. and clipped off the top, which had one regular-sized closed bud and an array of tiny little buds all around it. This was my first course for supper: sauteed in sweet oil (as my mother called oil with little taste, like canola). Delicious. It would be fun to grow lots of asparagus, but one has to be watchful because it grows a foot or more in a day and then goes to seed. Merwin went to his book group and had had his main meal mid-day, as he prefers, and he enjoyed having the turkey balls again, a rarity for him: he usually doesn't like eating the same meal twice in a row. So I count that a success.

The deck in front of me, beyond my computer, is framed by huge flowering bushes, white viburnum. Throughout the garden as one group of flowers fades, another takes its place, preventing me from repining too much at losses.

Merwin has done his best to make this coming day a good one for us both. He tried to reserve a parking spot for our car at Lincoln Center, but all the reserved spots were already taken. He has to hope he can find a handicapped spot within the parking garage below the Philharmonic. But if he cannot find a place that I can get to easily, he will go to the car alone and drive it around to the curb in front of Lincoln Center where I will wait for him, leaning on my cane. That's where he'll drop me off before he goes to find a parking space.

I am excited about being with Naomi again. It's been at least two months since I have seen her. I thought I might have to use the walker, but I am going for the cane alone. I think I can handle it, and it is so much less obtrusive.

I am wishing good days for you all! Especially Antoinette, Sandy and family, and any who need special good vibes.

Love,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment