Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Lots of activities

Rachael on my right, Merwin and Michelle on my left
As always, click to enlarge and use back arrow to return to blog

Dear family and friends,

I had to post this photo to remind myself what I looked like pre-prednizone, with no apple cheeks and pumpkin belly. I will try to keep that image before me as consolation and hope for the not-too-distant-future.

Tuesday was a busy day: the morning began with an appointment for glasses. I have not worn anything but over-the-counter magnifying glasses in recent years as my eyes changed in a good direction. But because of the prednisone, the cataract on the lens of my right eye is getting worse: it already was humongous. We have a yearly Union benefit of a free eye exam and pair of glasses at a reduced price, so off we went early to pick out frames. I need something for the middle distance, from my eyes to the computer.

Later in the day, I had another visit to the dentist. I am ruining my teeth with grinding, but I already sleep so badly that I don't want to use the bite plate that should prevent it. Merwin dropped me off and went for a walk at the beach and returned just as I was opening John's book The Church of Shakespeare—I had to wait till bedtime to get back to it.

When he picked me up, we realized we could get to our free Tuesday movie. We went to see The City of Your Final Destination, a Merchant/Ivory film, with script as usual by Ruth Prawer Jhabvala, co-written by the author of the book that the film was based on: Peter Cameron. Like many Merchant/Ivory films, this was bittersweet and lovely to look at. Forget that its premise was weak: a PhD candidate in real life is not committed to one book and one book only. If he could not proceed with one topic, he would choose another: I did, many do. There was one quick scene when he, in front of a class, prompts them for writing an essay about the role of fate and character in Hardy. Though he tries to elicit a verbal exchange of ideas, the bell rings and the students pick up their books and leave. That's it. The end of his career as a teacher. Wow, he should have tried NCC to experience heartache in the classroom. But of course, not only heartache. It's worth sticking to the game.

Ilona's second painting went up, and looks great with the other already there: they are joyous. Merwin continues to convert 33 recordings into CDs (thanks Miriam!). What a host of old friends we can look forward to listening to! Carmina Burana, Façade, The Play of Daniel, T. S. Eliot reading his own poetry, and more!

I wrote my thank you letters to the company that sent the technician who drew my blood for all these weeks so expertly, and I wrote directly to Bill, the physical therapist from Visiting Nurses who worked with me. I also sent copies to my Dr. K, whose office arranged for these services. She should know when her choices work well (or not).

Onward to a rainy day, but there is already a smile on my face as I anticipate a good one, with opportunities to get back to work.

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment