Saturday, May 29, 2010

Keeping it simple





Dear family and friends,

A view of our NYC studio apartment taken by the management company to show as that all is back where it was. Well, it's not quite the chair arrangement we had at the table, and I don't see the placemats I keep on the table, but it looks reasonably habitable. Though we supplied the paint, which should have matched, it seems that the patch where the workers gained access to the building's water supply shows as a lighter color. Or as Merwin says, that could be a reflection of the camera flash. I don't see Merwin's computer. Outside the window you can see the scaffolding, which was supposed to be gone by the end of March. You can still see the greenery of Bryant Park, however. I can't wait to return, next week for sure and maybe before.

We had a lovely lunch with Harris and Evelyn. I enjoy making new friends, and these guys are winners. They go to the same water aerobics classes that Merwin attends, and the various men there stick together and tease each other. Harris and Evelyn have three girls, and 4 grandchildren, two boys and two girls, who live close enough to see each other frequently. Harris worked at CBS among other places as a film person and Evelyn was a high school English teacher. Like us, they enjoy theater. Because of them we renewed or membership in TDF, and we bought tickets for a play in which our friend Laury's daughter Elyssa will perform next Sunday in NYC. Elyssa just graduated from Harvard College. Hooray, Elyssa.

Somehow just sitting and talking knocked me out completely. We arrived a little after noon, and were home just before 4. I slept in the car and then went immediately to bed for a continuation of the nap. I did nothing to occasion that amount of fatigue, being served hand and foot. But I take advantage of every good moment I have, and thankfully, they are many.

I made an appointment with a physical therapist in Glen Cove who does not charge a co-pay. I will go as long as my medicare holds out. This is to strengthen my muscles that were weakened while I was recovering from the broken pelvis.

I just heard from her husband Sandy via email that our friend Phyllis B is back in the hospital with dangerously low blood pressure. We send her our love.

Satyaki, the grad student from Reno who is working on our website, tried to reach me on Skype yesterday, and I returned his call to no effect, but I hope we can connect this weekend. I have been working on the agenda for our summit meeting on Thursday and Friday and, via email, discussing Jesús's work for the site: he is creating a magnificent new edition, which I hope will be completed soon. I started looking into Q1 (the First Quarto of Hamlet), which we hope to have on the site soon.

If anyone wants to take a look, click on hamletworks.org, then click on the second item on the left, "Linked Enfolded Hamlet": scroll down, and click on Q2 and scroll down to read as much as you want; then close that and click on F1, and again scroll down to see what that looks like. Then close it and click on the middle text, Enfolded, which mixes the two, Q2 and F1, together, my invention, The Enfolded Hamlet.

Harvey and Sandy are in Cleveland with Sandy's mother, who is so ready to die. Arthur and Debbie are working on a tool shed for their house with the help of a technician. Lincoln is of course out of town. Dave is having a bar-b-cue, I expect, in his lovely back yard.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend, everyone. Ours will be quiet and peaceful.

Love,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment