Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Busy Monday




This is a photo of our ME group (Marriage Encounter) in 2001. Starting at the left on the edge of the pool: Eli, Bob, me, Eddie and then continuing around the circle starting at the right in the water: Eddie, Al, Joan, Sandy, Merwin, Iza, Emma, Marcia—all of us looking young and fit. One couple is missing, Harriet and Gus, which makes me think this photo was taken in Florida, where we met once a year for a weekend together. Now we rarely hear from any of these old acquaintances with whom we shared so much of our lives. Click to enlarge phot; use backspace to return to blog.


Dear family and friends,

I decided to walk for 45 minutes instead of biking: walking puts more weight on my pelvis, and according to the P.T., weight bearing exercise helps to produce bone. The ground was a little wet, but it was fun walking around this pretty neighborhood. There are iris now in all shades. I have spoken before about the changes—the end of one set of flowers and the beginning of others. Also, where the azaleas are fading, new fresh leaves are forming, so there is always something to please the eye, to take the place of the previous beloved object of joy.

Yesterday was a busy day, almost all of it social. We had a lovely lunch at the Jolly Fisherman with Enid and David. David and I are both using canes. Merwin, always a light eater, could not finish his main dish or dessert, so offered each to me. In spite of the fact that I am trying to lose the prednisone pounds as I taper slowly, I accepted his offer and ate all of mine + half of his meal. Plus, I did not keep my hands out of that great bread basket, though I had intended to.

We rushed home to get a nap before leaving again for the "free" Tuesday movie. At Harris's suggestion, we saw "City Island," which we liked very much. It is one of these movies that purports to be realistic but actually is full of holes that one puts aside during the viewing but that leap out when one thinks it over. The acting saves all.

We have made many trips to City Island (in the Bronx) with Bobbie and Norman, Rosie and Irwin, because it has seemed a good middle ground for the 6 of us. But we have only entered on the main road and never saw the delightful community shown in the film (if it was filmed there). This summer for our birthday lunch (we three women all have birthdays in July) we will meet on Long Island. I would love to have everyone here. We'll see.

In between, I heard from Georgie, the head librarian at the Folger, who wanted me to answer some questions posed by high school students. The Folger has a wonderful program for children of all ages. I have often seen the kids, dressed up in glorious costumes, lined up to put on their selected scenes on the tiny Globe-like stage at the Folger, and some of the acting is pretty good. Because of our busy day, I didn't get to write to the students till late and no one has responded yet. Maybe they found someone else to ask? They wanted to know what a Shakespearean might think about a couple of Romeo and Juliet films.

In the evening we were engaged by election results. I hope the pundits are wrong about much of their interpretation. I cannot be sad about the end of Arlen Specter's career (for the time-being anyway). I supported him. though he was a Republican, until the confirmation of Clarence Thomas as Supreme Court Justice. Specter also voted for many things that appalled me. He is a middle-of-the-road to right-leaning Republican, hardly a Democrat.

Busy day coming up today: lots of errands to do. Sorry about the intrusive element that decided to make a home in my blog. If you see "Answer me" and know how I can get rid of it, I would be happy to know.

More tomorrow,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment