Friday, May 14, 2010

Fun, mostly

Dear family and friends,

Of course the high point of the day was meeting with the writing group at NCC. Those who are still working there among those who came were a bit stressed perhaps by the end-of-semester business. But we had a good time. Toby read a piece about my blog! When she quoted it, she asked me to read the excerpt, which was fun. Though I am writing for everyone who cares to check in, I admit that I mostly write for myself, to remember my daily life! Sometimes it's a struggle to think "What did I do yesterday?" or "What happened?"

Going into the office and greeting old friends there, sifting through the accumulation of mail in my mailbox, walking down the corridors of Bradley Hall, I was greeted by many and also saw many strange faces. It has been 11 years since I retired, after all. But I still feel a strong connection to the place. To my friends, it goes without saying, but even to the place. I also ran into Rick, and got and gave a big hug. I am so proud of him. He was with Inez, who looks terrific.

I read to my group a part of my review of the TFANA MM. It's good to read a paper aloud; I did catch something that needed to be changed. But what I noticed most was how blank everybody seemed: they did not remember the play, which they had probably read eons ago. I have to stop and think: who is this review for? It's for the Shakespeare Newsletter of course, but how many will know the play as well as I do having just edited it and seen three performance versions? Hum. Something to ponder.

After our reading, four of us went to LL Dent, a Southern-inflected restaurant, where we met LL Dent herself. Charming. We chose, among us, fried green tomatoes, cornbread, potato salad, macaroni and cheese, coleslaw, fried catfish (I think), fried chicken salad, spicy cabbage, and sweet potato pie. We four ordered all of this and shared so everyone could taste. We liked all but the macaroni and cheese. Of course, as a vegetarian I avoided the animals.

Toby had picked me up, and she drove me home, so we had a chance to chat on our own. Since she and Elliott retired this past year, she will soon be selling their Roslyn apartment and making their NYC apartment and their summer house in Lennox, MA, their main domiciles. Change. Wonderful for them, of course. They will be planning to spend time with Brian, their new grandchild in Boston, of course, closer to Lennox than to Long Island.

I held up really well through all of this activity. On other occasions, I have not been able to go to lunch after our readings. So there is improvement (the result of NOT taking certain meds that were supposed to help me but didn't). But when I got home I was exhausted. The long awaited call had come from Mount Sinai in the morning: I am going to be in a trial for a medicine that will not cure my condition but that could reduce symptoms such as the humongous spleen. I went to NCC before all was settled, so I left the details to Merwin. He and Amy, the nurse at Mt. Sinai, decided that the first appointment would be June 10th. Once started, if the first tests go well, including bone marrow biopsy (BMB for short), I will be going to Mt. Sinai every week for a while for follow-up tests. Merwin, who interests Dr. Mascarenhas very much because he also has an MPD, will be studied with me but he won't get the drug since he has no symptoms to speak of.

After hearing about this, I was ready for sleep, but I had a long talk with Jim L., the editor of the Focus series Laury and I are working on, and that was even more tiring. I went to bed afterward and recovered somewhat by evening, We spoke to our granddaughter Michelle, who sounded very up. I hope we can get to see her as soon as I can get into NYC easily. Afterward, I decided to do the easy task of looking over the TLS copies that I have, thanks to Kathryn. Then a little reading of The Church of Shakespeare and some sips of Tonic and a little vodka. I slept very well, better than in ages. Thank you, vodka?

As I write this, I am listening to Harvey over the speaker phone talking to Merwin. So this may be a little discombobulated.

But all is well, and I look forward to the day, including NYC!

Love,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment