Monday, July 19, 2010

So many photos, so little space



















HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAVE!

Dear friends and family,

The frustration of placing photos is that they look very different in the draft version than on the blog itself. The photo of Dave alone is from 1966 and the photo of him and his older brother is from 1967. Lincoln was already showing his brother how to climb into the tree house.

How these images and the thoughts they generate make me smile!

Lincoln did very well on day three after surgery: no or few pain pills, walking outside, and mostly chatting with friends from all over. We did a good amount of talking, too, which is fun.

Merwin and I took a quick ride to Rothkamp's farm where most of the fruits and vegetables sold are either grown there or elsewhere on Long Island. The corn in various stages of development lines the road into the farm stand. We love going there and consider ourselves lucky to have one of the few remaining Nassau County farms so close to us, 1/2 mile away. I reminisced about walking there with a bag for purchases or riding my bike with the baskets, front and back. Or I used to bike to Youngs' Farm, a bit further and more gentrified or should I say faux countrified—but with very good vegetables and fruit pies along with the potholders featuring roosters. We were back within a half hour with wonderful corn, zucchini, a green pepper, a cucumber, tomatoes from their fields! an onion with a chunky stem, and eggplant.

I immediately set out to prepare Gazpacho: In the blender, puree one cucumber, one green pepper, a little onion, a couple of cloves of garlic, 1/2 C white vinegar (or less for less tart taste), 1/2 C olive oil (or less for reduced fat), a few basil leaves, and a can of good tomatoes. No point using fresh tomatoes: the canned have a deeper flavor and are less expensive. Churn this mix until fairly smooth. In separate little dishes, prepare the garnishes: chopped radishes and carrots and crumbled pita chips.

Lincoln and I had corn for lunch: delicious. Merwin, unfortunately, can't eat corn. Lincoln and I like it hot, without butter or salt, just plain. I cook it in the microwave, about 3 minutes per ear.

The main dish for Lincoln’s dinner was vegetables with pasta. I made a whole box of pasta, drained, and mixed in frozen string beans, sauteed eggplant and zucchine (with onion and garlic too), a bag of frozen carrots and peas for color, a drizzle of olive oil, and grated cheese on the side. I put an appropriate amount, I think, for Lincoln and his friend Rob who would be having dinner together, with directions. I set the table for them in the dining room so they would have room to breathe. I have at least a couple of pasta meals left over, and if the gazpacho is gone (which it will be) we'll have some pasta today with some good tomato sauce as well as the cheese.

All this preparation was necessary because Merwin and I joined Laury, Boris and Elyssa for dinner at Cafe Toulouse in Port Washington, a very lovely restaurant with excellent but simple food, and we did not want to leave Lincoln on his own. He's too delicate yet, though doing very well. We were celebrating Laury's birthday, but she brought me a present for mine on Thurs. (I am wearing them now: they are beautiful red, round earrings, and I love earrings). Rob walked in the door just as we were leaving for Port, and by chance he was walking out just as we returned. So Lincoln wasn't left alone for more than a few seconds.

Lots to do today so I better stop chatting,

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment