Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A percoset-tinged blog

Dear family and friends,

Sorry to report that I now have a fractured pelvis. It is painful and immobilizing, but at least I can sit here at my computer and perhaps even hope to return to my essay on TV Hamlets, which must be sent off soon (all I need do is reread and make any little final corrections) and edit Fernando's essay, which is just about "good to go," for the website Both tasks would distract me. That is, if the percoset I am taking allows me to work at all.

I fell violently yesterday morning as I was approaching the door of the physical therapist's office: my shoe caught on a bit of raised sidewalk, and I landed, smack!, on the hip for which I was seeking therapy. After a lot of yelling, which finally attracted the attention of those inside the office, Vicky, the PT, called the fire department (our volunteer emergency service), and Beverly, her secretary, called Merwin to come, and I sat there on the sidewalk. In the hospital, after a long day of waiting—I am sure everyone knows how that goes—a CT scan discovered a fracture, a real one, not a stress fracture. That is, pieces of the bone are separated. This is worse than the stress fracture I got at the 20-mile point while training for the NYC marathon in 1983.

The good news is that the fracture is not in the hip, which would have required surgery. The ER doc wanted to admit me, but we resisted, and after I demonstrated that I could take two steps with his help, he said I could go home with a prescription for percoset and a walker. Dave got both for me, and I began the struggle. Wow! this is painful, but thankfully only when I need to move. But this too will pass.

I am proud of myself for thinking of a way to move around, starting with getting from the car to the inside of the house: we have seats with rollers for our computers, and I suggested that we use one to transport me. Dave got a neighbor to help, and they rolled me into the house, lifting the chair as necessary up the few front steps. I could even push myself along. How we all struggled to manage bathroom visits is just about as awkward as you can imagine.

We set up the sleep-couch in my study on the floor that has no steps to get to the bathroom, kitchen or computer, and Merwin and I slept there. Very comfortable. That is, it would be if I didn't have this fracture. As it is, both in the hospital and at home, I am subject to fierce leg cramps, about which I could do nothing, and moving is quite a task.

Our daughter-in-law Debbie took over the kitchen chores wonderfully gracefully. She and Arthur had arrived for their planned visit from New Hampshire just after I got into the ER. Arthur went to work (his business has an office on Long Island), and Debbie and Dave took care of everything at home.

After a nice supper prepared by Debbie, we worked out ways for me to negotiate the space. Lincoln, who arrived at about 7:30 p.m., was a great help with all his experience as an EMT. I did not sleep well, but then I rarely do.

Looks like Chicago is a bust. But one day at a time: I am better this morning since the area does not seem as frozen as it was yesterday. We will have to see how we are going to work out all the logistics: do we need an aide? Should I go into a PT facility? Discussions with doctors and others today will help us make up our minds. Arthur and Debbie will be here until Friday.

I don't want to go on and on about this, so I'll close now, with fond wishes for all of you. I sense your support flowing through to me.

Love,
Bernice

2 comments:

  1. It was good to help you out last night and it was quite a surprise about your fall yesterday.

    About how many weeks before you can spin again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's right--you'll be spinning again!

    ReplyDelete