Friday, March 12, 2010

A bit of a drag

Dear family and friends,

In hindsight, I wish I had pushed to keep the prednisone as it was after the first taper, at 35 mg., a little longer. The taper was having an effect on me already, and what happened at 30 mg was a return of the breathing problem. Now I am pretty sure I can't read my whole paper tonight, so I will have Kathryn at my side with another copy of the paper, where I have marked places for her to take over. She is a gorgeous reader, can do better than I can in any case, so I think it will work out all right. To tell you the truth, I have turned against my paper. I have lost my love for it.

The plan now is to return to 35 mg. a day (which I took at 3 a.m.) and to take an extra 10 mg this afternoon before the meeting. I hope this perks me up. I am to phone Dr. Janus and make an appointment for her to look at my lungs, to see if the intrusions have reappeared. O2 is down a bit, to 92 or 93. Did I mention that Dr. Mascarenhas thinks that the intrusions could be from the bone marrow, trying to get some results for my body? Weird, isn't it. Marvelous too.

Anyway, the weekend is shaping up in spite of the deluge that is expected. We will go into the City this morning, have a rest before going to Columbia, see many friends there, then tomorrow see Rachael and Michelle, who, poor things, are moving in what promises to be the wettest day of the year.

Yesterday was George's last day with us. He is a sweet kid, remarkably young. Not having taught for over 10 years, and having grown children and grandchildren, I had forgotten what 20-year-olds are like. Surprising to me that I have forgotten. I guess I just expect everyone who looks like an adult to be an adult. It was helpful to him to stay with us so he could have his experiences with doctors during procedures, and it was no trouble at all. As we were having our last hour with him, while he was waiting for his aunt to pick him up, we forgot all about filling the red ball with air! How do we do that? So this morning, I did my exercises on a very saggy ball. Yes, Vaughan, it is funny. I have to laugh myself!

Love to all,
Bernice

1 comment:

  1. Should you read your paper if you've turned against it? Why not write a bit about why you evolved your belief? That could be quite fun, actually.....I'm really hoping I can go see you talk tonight; and now I'm doubly curious about the paper!

    hearts, hugs & mucho besos!

    ~dawn

    ReplyDelete