Saturday, February 20, 2010

Waking with a smile

Dear family and friends,

What a pleasure to wake up as usual at 5 a.m. but then fall back asleep for another 90 minutes! I am still smiling now. Last night ended with a terrible pain in my hip, but with the help of some stronger-than-usual meds, the heating pad, and sleep, it is better this morning. The problem with any pain is this: did I just hurt something at one of exercise classes? Or is this the "condition" rearing up its ugly head?

Because of the hip and work on my desk of all kinds, it was a very quiet day. I had a yen to make a potato salad for supper, which is rather weird in mid-winter. Here's what I did:

Lots of chopped onions and celery, 1 large Yukon gold potato, sliced and boiled in lightly salted water, then drained and dried a bit in the toaster oven, and cut up a bit more. 5 hard boiled eggs: the method I use is to boil water, use a spoon to place the eggs in the water, then cover the pot and turn off the burner. In about 25 minutes, the eggs are perfectly done. I use an egg slicer to cut the eggs up, lengthwise and cross wise. Dress the salad with mayo mixed with tiny bit of good mustard. We had Merwin's lovely romaine salad on the side.

We took a short ride down to the Sea Cliff beach to enjoy the snowy scene, the great sky-scape and the rough water. We are so lucky to live so close to many waterways and beaches.

Not much excitement in the offing until we go to the City on Monday, just pleasant days of music, companionship, phone conversations with our sons and others, and of course food! Nothing wrong with my appetite.

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment