Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Sun shines bright

Dear family and friends,

If it weren't for this painful hip, my days would be very pleasant, with their usual combination of people, appreciation of the outdoors, outings, cooking, working, and the rest. Days slip by so smoothly, that if I didn't write down some of what happened I would not be able to distinguish one day from another.

Best parts: talking to my grandson, the one and only among the five grandchildren. I wanted to send him a nice birthday present of his choice but had written to the wrong email address, and he had not gotten my message on the day itself. So that was taken care of on the spot. I am hoping he will come to visit when his Dad comes in a couple of weeks.

I think I am very lucky that my condition is slowly evolving (or devolving). It gives me time to think about what is important to me and allows me the serenity to accept it fairly gracefully. I contrast that gift of time with the weeks' long illness of a friend. Lung cancer, and just a few weeks from diagnosis to hospice. I have time, though, to urge my loved ones to make their pilgrimages while I am in good shape.

Merwin took me shopping at T.J. Maxx, one of my favorite stores. The hip slows me down considerably, but we managed. Then to the Italian place for stuffed shells, which I will serve for lunch with sauce. Then to the bakery for some goodies, including some biscotti for me.

Laury did some shopping for me at Costco, and then came for lunch and a good afternoon of work on Measure for Measure. I think this is the longest sessions I have been able to spend with her on the play, about 3 and 1/2 hours. It was intense, serious, meaningful work, and taught us both a lot as we tried to figure out what Isabel was saying.

The evening continued with another easy meal of veggie burgers and salad, more work on my own, phone calls & email with plans for the future, and Olympic thrills. A good day, a precious gift.

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment