Sunday, February 28, 2010

City day

Dear friends and family,

Yesterday was a City day, and as always it's wonderfully energizing to be there. In spite of lots of snow having fallen in previous days, the streets and sidewalks were pretty clear. We did not go far: from the train into the City, to the subway that goes to Lincoln Center (with an elevator), across the street after the concert for an early and enormous dinner, then across the street again for the subway and home. I was limping pretty badly from the hip problem, which is likely to be caused by the prednisone dose I am on: 40 mg. every morning at 3 a.m.

Prednisone does so much that is good and bad: the hip is the top of the iceberg: it's obvious. Who knows what else it is doing to wreck my system? Now that the pneumonia is gone, though, I should be able to start tapering under the directions of Dr. Mascarehas at Mr. Sinai [I spell out his name in full for practice: I am trying to learn how to pronounce it].

The NY Philharmonic concert was half disappointing: the 1st piece and better half was Beethoven's "E.-Flat major Septet for Clarinet, Bassoon, Horn, Violin, Cello and Double Bass, Op. 20," and though we have this on our iPod and listen to it as often as the huge music library Merwin has allows, it is wonderful to see the musicians at work. The second half seemed more for children than for adults: a Ravel (Suite from Ma Mère l'Oye (i.e. Mother Goose) and Barber, “Concerto for Violin and Orchestra, Op. 14.” Afterward, at dinner, our friend Naomi was complaining that though she had brought us into this subscription series a few years ago, WE and not she received a discount on the series this year: she thought at the very least she should also get the discount. I agree, and after this particular concert, I wonder if we should choose another venue for our occasional matinee get-together: Town Hall? Symphony Space?

We had made a reservation at Fiorello's to enjoy their huge selection of appetizers. We had been turned away from the place on a couple of occasions. As we left every table was squeezed together with barely any space for walking and a huge crowd stood in line for tables. I said to one of the waiters: “No Recession here!” and he responded “Absolutely not!” It's not as good a dining experience (IMOHO) as Sechuan Gourmet, since though that's crowded also it is less frenetic. They know me there, and I always make a reservation. Yesterday, we had fried artichokes (Jewish style, they said), Marguerita pizza, eggplant, and dessert. Yummy all, or almost all.

We three departed for our suburban homes, and I went almost straight to bed to read. I had a reasonably good night, with an extra hour or two of sleep because of a trick I have learned: when waking up at 5 a.m. or so, the usual time, I put on a warm nightgown that covers me from neck to ankles. I already had on loose, warm socks to help prevent cramps. With this extra warmth, I went right back to sleep! delicious.

Looking forward to a quiet day today.

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment