Monday, February 8, 2010

Improvement and off to NYC

Dear friends and family,

The pressure in my chest eased up during the day, and we enjoyed the wonderful Baroque concert in Teddy Roosevelt's church in Oyster Bay. For the first time, I saw a small flag attached to a seat, pointed out to me by the Artistic Director of the ensemble, Sonia Grib; it marks Teddy Roosevelt's own pew, where he sat every time he attended, for some 18 years. It amazes me that this flag had escaped my notice. I always walk around the church during the intermission to note plaques, portraits, memorials, and all the other interesting aspects of this lovely space.How lucky we are to have this venue, which we reach through some of the most beautiful roads of the North Shore, The trip home was especially lovely because though after 5 p.m. the sky was still alight, and the graceful branches of the bare trees showed dark against it.

The concert itself was entirely instrumental this time, with a flute, two violins, two violas, a violoncello, and harpsichord (played by Grib). We always enjoy watching Louise Schulman with her viola: she is so joyous. We heard a long concerto by Haydn's younger brother, Johann; a string quartet and a flute quartet by the older Haydn; and a viola quintet by Mozart. We wondered why it was called a viola piece when clearly the violins had the main role. But all was lovely and enjoyable.

Once home, we ate mainly leftovers. I had made a soup in the morning which turned out pretty well. After starting with the usual chopped up onions, carrots, and celery (including leaves), I added a pureed blend of 2 zucchini and 1 large eggplant that I had sauteed together in a little olive oil the day before. To this I added a bit of ginger, not very much, finely chopped. I made noodles separately, because when I cook noodles in the soup, then rewarm it several times, they get all squishy.

I felt pretty lively in the evening and managed to start the project of converting piles of paper to notes for hamletworks.org. I got through a few and disposed of the paper. The pile of papers is enormous (about 3' high), but I am determined to get through them all. These are papers on the top of the big file cabinet in the sitting room. What's inside the cabinet is another story. Maybe for another lifetime.

Onward to Mimi's class and then to the City later.

Love to all,
Bernice

1 comment:

  1. I have such fond childhood memories of Oyster Bay. I remember clamming with my brother and digging up clams as fast as we could. Oh, how muddy we would get. I remember the day we saw a water spout way out in Long Island Sound while clamming. Lovely place!

    ReplyDelete