Sunday, February 7, 2010

A special treat

Dear Friends and family,

Having been cheated of our attendance at the Rudichs' 60th wedding anniversary party in CT by the threat of snow (which of course never materialized), we suddenly did have the opportunity to attend the HD TV Verdi opera Simone Boccanegra. While the story is the usual silly stuff of mistaken identity, sudden discoveries, information withheld until it is too late, betrayal and loyalty, and all the rest, the singing and the staging were magnificent. We had great seats at the movie theater, and enjoyed it thoroughly. Of course, I wept here and there, sometimes at the sheer beauty of it all, sometimes at the losses and sorrow. Plácido Domingo was spectacular singing as a baritone. James Levine was the conductor, and as ever is a joy to watch because of his wonderful ease and pleasure. We recall well when he arrived at the MET, and transformed a third-rate orchestra into a first-rate one. At the curtain calls, the cameras showed reactions from the orchestra pit, tears and joy and wonder. That was just the way we felt. Other stars were Adrianne Pieczonka, Marcello Giordani, and James Morris. In between scenes we learned how Ms. Pieczonka appreciates being the only female singer in this opera. A lovely, moving experience.

Afterward, instead of going home to make the soup I had in mind, we stopped in for an early dinner at Ernesto's, a small neighborhood restaurant where we are recognized (though we don't go there often) and treated very nicely. We had a lovely meal. Then home to bed for me.

My pattern at night seems to be to sleep for an hour or more, then get up and do something, then lie down to sleep again. I hope that one of the risings will be at about 3 a.m. when I want to take the prednisone, with a little bit of banana. Last night, I went through my NCC file and got rid of most of it, all the certificates of honor, the letters of appreciation, the scanty record of a very full life at the college that was my home for 23 years. Some of the items I couldn't even remember. Out they all go, except for a small pile I want to share with Merwin, for his amusement.

Towards the end of the night, my chest was giving me grief. I thought I might have to ask to be taken to the hospital; it had been somewhat uncomfortable all day too. My chest is heavy: heart or lungs? Hard to tell. We'll phone Dr. Janus tomorrow, which may mean no trip to NYC as planned for tomorrow.

It's relaxing to spend a few minutes with you all, whom I visualize in my mind as I write. It's a lovely sunny day here, and I hope you will enjoy it.

Loads of love,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment