Thursday, January 21, 2010

There's a smile on my face

Dear Friends and family,

Not that a smile is unusual for me, but I am rested from a nap at home after the 4-hour transfusion this morning, and I do not hear the boom, boom, ba-boom in my ears! Or at least not very loudly. That's a relief. Little favors.

And when I got home I saw the first primer coat of mango on a bedroom wall. This is going t make the room so much lighter and brighter. I am trying to remove and distribute unneeded books and put up some of the paintings, photos and other pictures that are leaning against walls here and there throughout the house. I do love my books, so full of memories, but my need for so many of them has diminished: others can use them now.

Yesterday was a lightened by Harris and Evelyn, with whom we had a kind of brunch after the water aerobics class that they go to with Merwin. And in my study I managed to part with two huge promotion folders, mementos of years of work at NCC: out to the garbage they went, giving me a little more space on the shelves in my study.

I am looking ahead to spring 2011, if you can believe that! I have suggested to the hamletworks.org team that we propose (by 1 March 2010) a session about our website and issues associated with it for the next Shakespeare Association Meeting. If anyone wants to see the interview about hamletworks.org published in the Shakespeare Newsletter, let me know and I'll mail you a copy.

Spinach pancakes were on the menu: fresh spinach (pre-washed is OK), trimmed and cut up, mixed with enough eggs to hold the leaves together, with enough grated Pecorino Romano cheese added to taste, then dropped in large spoonfuls (3") into hot olive oil in a frying pan. Fry each patty till dark brown on both sides. Drain on paper towel. We love this dish, and the patties make wonderful sandwiches as well.

Another patty: have I mentioned this one? 1 lb can of wild salmon, liquid, bones and all: mash the contents, add a couple of eggs, and bread crumbs, enough so the mix holds together. Drop spoonfuls into hot olive oil. This time I decided to add a chopped scallion, dried parley, and also the cheese, as above. Delicious. Also makes good sandwiches the next day.

Now to work! I am thinking of all of you and hoping all is well. Below are two photos from Merwin's birthday on Dec. 25th, showing the spinach pie Harvey helped make under my direction and the birthday cake Sandy made. Seated around the table on the left, Lincoln opposite Harvey in the plaid shirt and Sandy, Dave on the left opposite Merwin, and me at the head of the table to be close to the kitchen.

Love,
Bernice


1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you're smiling, dearest Bernice!

    Hearts, Love & Hugs....

    xoxoxox ~dawn

    ReplyDelete