Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Getting off the Pity Pot

Dear Friends and Family,

Since writing yesterday I have been feeling a bit sorry for myself but am determined to look forward to a happy couple of days in NYC.

What's up today is an evening at the ballet with our friend Paul Bertram, who treats us to wonderful tickets at the American Ballet Co. performances. He's a donor so not only are his tickets wonderful (5th row center), but he also invites us to the donors' collation at the intervals: wonderful cheeses, wine, sweets, nuts. The main thing, though is the ballet: tonight it is Midsummer Night's Dream. In turn, we treat him to dinner at a good restaurant.

Then tomorrow, we have plans to have lunch at the Algonquin Hotel with friends Barbara and Kathryn. I am smiling all over my face just thinking of these convivial pleasures. And I hope to get into the library as well, to order some books for my shelf in the Allen Room, and to see if there are any issues of the Times Literary Supplement for me to look at (and gather information from). We'll be back in Glen Head by early evening, I expect.

My plan to go to the gym early this morning to try a SPIN class fell through because I wasn't feeling up to it. But I have to be reconciled to these little setbacks and enjoy to the fullest what I CAN do.

As usual, a few hours of work yesterday made me feel I am making progress on various fronts. Dear Michèle advised me on my essay for the Le Harve conference in a couple of months, and I was able to revise it accordingly. I don't plan to be at the conference, but Michèle has kindly agreed to read my paper for me.

And so it goes: downs that have to be overcome; ups that give life meaning and purpose.

Love to all,
Bernice

1 comment:

  1. We love you, Bernice!!! Can you put your paper up on your blog? We'd love to read it.....

    xoxoxoxxo

    ~dawn

    ReplyDelete