Friday, January 8, 2010

Chopped Liver

Sorry dear friends and family, not to be posting every day. Just to let you know that when I don't write it means not much is happening, just the usual work and such.

The best parts are phone calls, emails and iChats. On days that I don't leave the house, these contacts keep me happy. I am going to "ladies who lunch" today at the Jolly Fisherman. I so look forward to our monthly gathering. I hope the little snow we had today won't deter anyone from coming.

The blood counts came out pretty well the other day, and I don't have to return to the hem for 2 weeks! That's when Merwin goes to see why his platelets have gone up so much, over 600. My WBC is down to 111 (a far cry from 150+) but still high; and the platelets are over 100: 106 to be exact. So our Dr. K will contact Dr. Raza to see if I can start on the INCYTE trial or whether I have to wait till I am off the prednisone, which I am slowly tapering, 1/2 pill per week (this week 3 and 1/2; next week 3, etc.). The prednisone is giving me nice round cheeks and has increased my weight. And so it goes.

The biggest problem is the damage I did myself to my rib, which is still very painful, right through the codeine I am taking around the clock. Why, of why, did I do that to myself? I think I would be back at the gym if it weren't for my misstep.

I was delighted to hear from Alan and Randy yesterday who gave me encouragement to return to SPIN. I think I will try it soon.

Dave asks for my mother's chopped liver recipe. I am attaching Harvey's mother-in-law's recipe for mock chopped liver as being the healthier option, and quite good. But I also have the recipes for my mother's as well as the recipe for schmaltz. We used a hand grinder to chop the liver, but a hand chopping blade and wooden bowl will also work (after you remove the tough bits from the liver). I suppose the Cuisinart will work also.

Mock Chopped Liver—Lee Stein

3-4 hard-boiled egg whites or whole eggs with yolks.

1 C chopped walnuts (pecans work all right too)

8 oz cooked green beans—cooked till quite soft, approx 15 min. in microwave; use a box of the frozen.

3 heaping C onions sliced, sautéed in oil until almost brown and very soft. 2 packages of the frozen, chopped onions, work OK. Just sauté slowly so that all the moisture evaporates.

Add paprika to onions while they are cooking.

Blend everything in food processor

Salt and pepper to taste, if needed.

This actually tastes pretty good to someone who doesn't eat meat, and is even passable for those who do.

Real Chopped Liver—my mom's

Broil a pound more or less of chicken livers or calves liver until no longer bloody but not dry and hard.

Sauté onions in schmaltz (chicken fat) until very soft and yellow. Is this just as good without schmaltz? I think purists would say “no,” but if there is a cholesterol problems best go with regular sweet oil (Canola) or olive oil.

Hard boil three to four eggs.

Grind all in a food grinder and add salt and lots of pepper. Or hand chop. A Cuisinart may work too, but do not grind until mushy. Add schmaltz until the mix has a fairly smooth consistency. Some chunkiness is better than too smooth.

How much of each ingredient? probably about equal amounts of liver and onions.



Schmaltz (chicken fat)

Tear off pieces of fat from chickens as you use them and keep frozen until you have at least a cup or two of fat.

Render the fat in a pan with about an equal amount of onion, cut into thin slices, halved.

Slowly heat the fat and onions over a small flame being careful not to let the mixture burn. The onion will turn golden, then brown. A small solid bit of fat will get crisp and hard: these are the cracklings or grieven in Yiddish. Strain the mix over cheese cloth. The liquid portion is the schmaltz. This will keep for a long time in the refrigerator where it will solidify. The cracklings and onions can be added to the chopped liver or they are wonderful in mashed potatoes.

I am going on memory, because I have not had meat for years and years.


Lots of love to all,

Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment