Monday, January 18, 2010

Concentrating on the good

Dear Frineds and family,

Yesterday was a day that could have been a total loss, but it was saved by a number of positive developments that brightened a low day physically. There were a few really bad hours of fatigue and discomfort, but on to the good!

Lincoln, our number 3 son, visited us for the evening. It was a great pleasure to hear him talk about all his many activities. He is off to a conference in a few days: his hobby since college has been Sci Fi and now is furry fandom. He brought his impressive wolf costume, which he will wear at the conference and also to all kinds of charitable events during the year, like parades and other events for children and seniors.

Lincoln knows how everything works: this has been true of him since early childhood. He helped me with my bewildering cell phone, set up the blue tooth connection in my car so I can pull over and make a phone call if necessary, programmed my favorite radio stations for the car, showed me how to respond to comments on this blog, and more. I think it's great, having four sons, that they are all so different and all so talented and loving.

Our eldest son, Harvey, didn't like the fact that we had only two phones among the 10 rooms of this house and so sent us a system of five phones. Merwin yesterday was able to program the bedroom phone so that it doesn't ring from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. In the old days, I could always tell my students that they could phone me any time, day or night, because the phone was so far away from the bedroom that I would only respond if I were awake, and they could leave a message. Now I can say that again: phone any time: 516 671 1301.

In spite of fatigue, I managed to go shopping at my favorite super market, North Shore Farms, with Merwin of course. Got some great things, including some more manouri cheese. Made a lovely veggie soup for dinner starting with a base of packaged broccoli soup. The men ate the chicken fingers I had made the night before.

You may have noticed that I like making pancakes. Yesterday's New York Times Magazine had an old recipe for blini and a new variation of it. So naturally I am eager to try one or more versions, which will use up some sour cream I happen to have around.

And on the work front, I sent the group I am in for our SAA seminar a draft of my paper on Overhearing in Measure for Measure. Already this morning, Laury, who is the seminar leader, has commented on the paper. She likes it. And I sent Michèle the paper she will read for me in Le Harve.

And so it goes. Always many things to be happy and grateful for.

Love,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment