Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Catching up again

No photo today, sorry.

Dear Friends and Family,

Comments are coming in about my “At Sea” essay. which received pride of place (1st essay in the group) in the August issue of Shakespeare Quarterly, though I have to admit that the issue's guest editor did not have much to say about it: usually there would be a sentence or two or even a paragraph about each essay. I think I owe a lot to Mimi, the managing editor, who fought for my essay's placement in the issue. I am not going to keep on mentioning comments on my essay (if indeed there are any more).

Great piece on the Red Dragon, Bernice - I've also been working on this and have found other "Ambrose Gunthio" essays that are clearly by Collier! Well done. Jonathan.

The above is from "Sir Jonathan,” a Shakespearean of great renown. It's seems clear that he was on the same track and his prior publication could have precluded mine!

Dear Bernice, I read your article in SQ and I thought it was brilliant: fantastic research, clear and succinct presentation, and a really driving narrative - the last, not usually found in SQ, to my mind. And I loved the way you show how the trendy critics finesse the question of the account's authenticity - they need it too much to ask whether it's legitimate. And the pseudonym - good thinking.I enjoyed reading it so much - My hat is off to you!
OK, this is from a dear friend, a scholar in other fields, but I cherish her opinion.

I read your analysis of the Keeling incident in SQ. If you're correct--and I'm persuaded you are--many books, including my own, will need correcting.
This is from someone I have not met but whose work I know.

And on a more private note: Herb and I have had many many moments together, but this is what he wrote when he found out how ill I am. This memory of his goes back to the '80s.
You know, one of my favorite moments was dinner in Cambridge, Mass, with you, members of your family, Maurice, Bernie Beckerman, Sam Schoenbaum, Dick Levin. I was the only goy in the group. How proud I was to be there!
Be well! Love to you and Merwin, Herb.

I have been quite low physically. On Sunday, I was visited by beautiful Jessica, wife of Barry; Barry too, and Jessica's father, Jack, who looks young enough to be Jessica's husband. We just chatted at random. My cousin (part daughter) Sylvia came in and joined the conversation, and after the triplet party left, Dawn arrived, partly because she wanted to spend time with Sylvia. I had to rest in my bed a couple of times.

Monday, more rest, more Jane Austen. Tuesday I woke up with a rash that had started a few days before but now had spread across both thighs, front and back: no itching there. Harvey told me to talk to my oncologist, She kindly fitted us in, and from there we went to my skin doctor for a biopsy. I think it's just an infection because I am so weak.

I could not go to the writing group meeting, but Toby kindly stopped by and told me about all the readings.

Dave went shopping for us and also cooked some wild cod for our dinner. Very sweet of him. He is very helpful. We are lucky in all our children.

That's all, folks! This is tiring!

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment