Saturday, August 6, 2011

Dear Friends and Family,

No photo again today; sorry. I need Merwin to capture the crepe myrtle before it sheds its flowers. On Wednesday Harris and Evelyn were kind enough to visit. We had lox and mini bagels on hand, and they were kind enough to bring dessert, fruit and pastries. I had to lie on the couch for a bit, but it was good having them here. The main thing is that for the first time I did a little of the prep and otherwise coached Merwin. He is not feeling great either: sciatica, it seems. He's going to a physical therapist.

Thursday, I did more with Sonia than I have been able to do since this new illness, whatever it is, causing the low oxygen. We walked around the short block, but I also did some exercises with her. Not many, just a few. I also was able to read one of the other essays in SQ—flimsy I believe next to mine, and by two of the members of the editorial board of SQ. How hard did they have to work to get their essay accepted? But OK. I want to focus on my own achievement: I read something other than a few paragraphs at a time in The New Yorker. This is a good sign.

Even better was Friday. I dressed for our First Friday lunch but heard from Gladys that only Ilona had phoned to say she was coming. She sounded irritated and didn't want to make it a threesome. So Ilona and I went to Kiraku. That was fun! I am greeted by all there with a Hello Bernice, how are you. The only possible answer is Fine. I was relieved actually, because I didn't know if I could be without oxygen for the time it would have taken at The Jolly Fisherman. So it was with relief that the plan was canceled. Kiraku is at the end of the block here.

After a rest, I went to get my nails done, below and above! That takes a little bit of a lift up the steep steps and into the high seat for a pedicure. Chinese people I believe have a special tenderness toward the old. A customer sitting next to me even lent a hand. I am grateful for the help of both strangers and friends.

Wow! a walk, a lunch out, a manicure and pedicure! Dave went shopping for us and brought mushroom caps with spinach and cheese for our supper. He also made a salad, lickety split: he's so fast, so handy. And does it so willingly. He'll be back today to do a little more cooking after a little more shopping.

Love,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment