Saturday, July 30, 2011

quiet days




This delightful card appeared on my birthday along with Sophie, who delivered her daughters' poem and card. What a wonderful family and how we cherish them.

Dear Friends and family,

Seeing people does help. On Wed. Dawn came with lots of great food, some of which we froze. Late in the day Laury came with lentils and barley that David had made. Thanks, David: delicious! I was wiped out by the time they were ready to leave, but it was worth it. When Sonia came on Tues., she prepared a lot of things that I usually would make myself. She doesn't seem to realize how important she is to me and suggested she come once a week instead of twice because I can't do the exercises now. I can't bear her leaving, not when I am so weak. But she has her own health problems, though she seems so firmly energetic!

On Thursday, Sonia urged me to take a walk in the neighborhood, just around the short block. I did it without difficulty with her at my side. She encouragees me to do things I don't think I can do. Later, Merwin picked up Jay from the Glen Head LIRR station, and then we went to Kiraku, the Japanese restaurant at the corner, which I love and he likes too. For both outings, I did without O2 without too much difficulty. It was fun to hear all about his vacations.

On Friday, Barry came for a brief visit. He read me his notes about a Hamlet production—what he liked and what he didn't. I asked him if he'd like to write it up for one of the journals, but he prefers to read poetry and to work on projects that fascinate him. He is full of ideas. He borrowed some books from me, and I also gave him one of Herb's books.

We have a new, highly recommended worker for hamletworks.org—and a good thing too! His name is Marvin, and I am sure I will writing more about him as we go along. I wish I could see him in person, but that does not seem likely. We'll see how it goes.

During the sedentary days I have watched an enormous amount of TV, mainly MSNBC but also cSspan2 where there are no commercials. The commentators seem to spread blame sequally among both houses of congress and the president. What! The blame is entirely on the heads of the Tea Party Republicans! Boner (as I call him) came out after a wretched attempt to get his caucus in line with yelling criticism of the other side for doing nothing!? What a strategy! and the news programs in their “balanced” views let each side have equal time. Yuck!

But we also have had the pleasure, Merwin and I, of watching some Jane Austen films, which we so love, sometimes more than one version of the same novel. So interesting, the choices made. If only Merwin had the energy he could read the novels aloud to me for the delight of us both.

That's about it, folks! Keep in touch.

Love,

Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment