Thursday, July 21, 2011

News from around the world

The two men are fellow editors of hamletworks.org, cheerful Nick to the left and indescribable Hardin to the right. Also from left Wendy, the wife of the photo-taker Alan, Nick's wife Chrissy of the irresistible smile and intense Amy next to Hardin. Alan has contributed a splendid essay on Shakespeare in art for our site. So we are all connected, I am happy to say. Along with Eric, who could not go to Prague, Nick and Hardin labor on to complete the New Variorum Hamlet as well as their editing of hamletworks.org.

Dear Friends and Family,

I think I am ready to turn the corner. What a slew of bad luck, leaving me—not quite in the slough of despond but getting close. Today we finally saw my delightful Pulmonologist, who immediately took charge. My lungs are not at all as bad as they were last January when I had pneumonia. If I have any pneumonia now, it is just a touch in one lobe. Still, my O2 intake is quite low, 85 high, so she ordered O2 for me. A nice gent with an infectious laugh came by and showed us all the ins and outs. Too much to go into. This is going to help me sleep and maybe even get my voice back. I also took one of the antibiotic pills she prescribed—only one a day for three days. So I expect to feel a lot better soon.

If I had not had to go to the hospital for the transfusions, none of tis would have happened, And even before that, if I had been able to reach the doctor while I was reducing my dose of Hydrea my RBC would never have gotten so low. Oh well. I have to say I must be remarkably resilient to be able to tolerate all these side slams.

I did go out to dinner to celebrate Dave's birthday, but I was not able to make it through dessert. Dave kindly said it didn't matter, that it was best for me to get home. Which I did. I can recuperate quickly by watching Jane Austen. We had seen a very truncated version of Pride and Prejudice, which only half satisfied our desires so Merwin went back to the library and found a fuller version. Ah!

Yesterday, I made it to the annual lunch for the July birthday friends whom we have known since 1954 when Merwin and I arrived on Long Island. We used to go on annual weekends to Mohonk Mountain Resort in the winter as well as celebrate the July birthdays; since Bobbie and Norman have moved to Florida and Rosie and Rudy to Connecticut, we manage only this once a year event. I was marvelously buoyed up by our get together at good old Jolly Fisherman. Bobbie, sitting next to me, urged me at one point to go home to bed, but I made the mistake of not listening to her; I stayed until exhaustion set in, which meant a long nap and then bed for the rest of the day. But it was worth it. I had to communicate by writing notes, but that's OK. I talk too much anyway.

I was not up to celebrating Laury's birthday with her on the 18th, but she has since stopped by to bring flowers, good wishes, and lovely earrings; I missed seeing her because I was sleeping when she arrived. And at least one more July birthday has not been forgotten. Dear Phyllis, whom we have known since 1958 when Arthur started along with Phyllis's son at the coop nursery school in Sea Cliff.

On the Shakespeare front, the guys did very well for hamletworks.org in Prague, and we must be sure to get their achievements into the NEH report that is due in a few days. Not being able to work, my mind has fastened on an idea I would like to explore. We have accomplished a lot with our wonderful site, but it is all too connected with the New Variorum Hamlet. We need to lift it above that limited book project. Also we need to consider what's happened to Internet communications: blogs, tweets, facebook friends. I wonder how we can get on board. Ideas anyone?

Love to all,
Bernice


1 comment:

  1. It's so great to see you feeling better! What a relief! :)

    In terms of your call for ideas re: Hamletworks---why don't you make a portion of the site a wiki (overseen by you expert editors, of course!). But monitoring the internet for fb posts, tweets, blogs, etc. about Hamlet is just too vast a project for any one mortal! However, I'm sure there are a great many Hamlet enthusiasts out there who would love to get involved---if you opened a portion of the site*building* to the general public, then you'd have a veritable army of researchers at your disposal! :)

    ReplyDelete