Sunday, May 22, 2011

Skip this one if you want real news

I may have already included this photo. It shows only about half the huge bush, which was here when we moved into the house in 1959. As the green leaves emerge they push away the flowers, but there is a constant flow of new blooms elsewhere in the garden. The rhododendron is in full bloom now. You can also see, above, the railing we had installed to make walking up the short path easier for me and others. It needs a small repair, but true to form, the fabricator, having been paid in full does not show up—though he promises to.


Dear Friends and Family,

Margaret, our lively cleaner, is here today. She is sweet to look at, and a pleasure to have around, unlike the cleaning service we had before her. I asked her to do my bathroom last today because I am not feeling up to much and like to rest in my chair or bed when I feel punky.

Yesterday, Laury dropped by and accompanied we on a long walk (for me), up hill and down dale in the neighborhood. We rang the bell at Florence's house, but she wasn't home. Afterward, I suggested that once she was finished with her trimester we start on our chapter on Macbeth, which is not due till next summer. I'd like to get it done this summer for obvious reasons. I read her a couple of introductory paragraphs I had already written, and she was very very enthusiastic about them. Hooray! What a great affirmation. I sent her almost all the files I had gathered for our work on the chapter, and we will discuss who does what. I am depending on her to view and write about the videos at the Lincoln Center TOFT (Theater on Film and Tape) Collection. They have about 8 versions, not available anywhere else. Today we will discuss the overall pattern.

Also today, our granddaughter Michelle will be here for the late afternoon and evening. I am thinking of making with her help my salad dressing and also the potato chips I used to make at her parents' house for Passover, thinly sliced potatoes baked in a lightly greased pan in the oven until they brown and curl. They will accompany chicken for her and Merwin and something vegetarian for me. I made a mushroom-cheese omelet for our Sunday breakfast, and leftovers will do for me.

The pain in my lower abdomen is something I have to deal with. Harvey thinks it is my spleen (which is huge) pressing against my intestines. He strongly objects to the idea of a hi-colonic, which I thought might give me some relief. No. Too dangerous for me, he says. I will cope with it. So far, Tylenol is working and avoiding a seated position for very long helps also.

We had a beautiful day yesterday, sunny and warm. We spoke to our friends Michèle and Raymond via iChat, but the reception was poor so we will try again later in the week. Merwin went to bis book group, and I watched silly movies that I hope to forget soon.

Love,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment