Friday, May 6, 2011

No photo today

Dear Friends and Family,

Catching up a bit. The writing group went super well logistically. I was energized by the company of my dear friends and made it through the entire evening, right through our wonderful dinner at Kiraku. I have not yet tried everything on the extensive menu, and I like the place so much, especially its proximity to our home, that I want to go again and again, Merwin, who joined us for dinner, does not feel the same way, but there are many other choices close by. I had asked Kiraku to give us separate checks because some of us did not want a full dinner. They obliged without demur. Now that is rare. As for the meeting itself, it started out with sad events in the last days of Barbara's tenure as leader of the Women Studies Program, which she developed from scratch and made into one of the leading programs of its kind in the whole country. She wanted to hand over the baton to the person in the program whom she thought would be best, and there was an uproar among people who wanted an election. I am sorry to say that it got nasty, so nasty that only one person ran. I am so sad. Barbara has to look back on a tremendous achievement over almost 20 years, now tarnished for her by these last days, which she has to put aside as she moves forward. Hugs from us all, Barbara.

Not everyone read, but even so we barely finished by 8 p.m., the time of our Kiraku date. I read my BAM Macbeth review, and sure enough I got a couple of suggestions that I implemented before sending it to the Shakespeare Newsletter yesterday. The photos with it bounced back, so I have to figure out how to send them. Kathryn read one of her very witty pieces, about her long time relationship with her feet. Toby read the interesting and sad results of her continuing efforts to trace her family. Many died in the Holocaust. Hedda read a moving piece about her mother and her own growth under her mother's eye. Jay read some pieces he wrote for his meditations on Buddhism and its belief in life after death—which he cannot accept literally. Joe read more of his novel in process. We are all impressed by his continuing work on this project. So it was a varied and fascinating set of readings.

Yesterday was supposed to be Sonia's last day, but since the woman she will be working for was given another week in rehab, Sonia will come for that week. When I express my regret to her, Sonia replies that she will never forget me, that I am part of her life, partly because of all the recipes I gave her and taught her. But her remembering me is not the point. I'll remember her too. But who is going to do the many things she did with and for me? Yesterday we went to North Shore Farms, our favorite supermarket, usually Merwin's task, but I am trying as much as possible to save him from extra exertion. The radiation does make him tired, though he is as cheerful as ever. Sonia just loved North Shore Farms, and indeed it is a unique store. She bought 3 bags full, and I bought 5 bags full, including fresh caught (not frozen) wild lemon sole for our supper and some nice looking Portobello mushroom-spinach-cheese things for a side dish.

It was a busy day, because as soon as we returned from the store and unpacked, I had to go with Merwin to be dropped off at Dr. K's while he went on for his radiation. I was hoping to meet Antoinette there, and through a fluke we actually did meet and had a nice chat about our MPD condition and also about family and plans. We met through the MPD list and though she lives about 2 hours away we occasionally get a chance to meet at Dr. K's. Dr. K was running so late that Merwin returned from radiation before I got to see her. She did not think I needed a physical therapist; she thought I could do the exercises to strengthen my muscles on my own. I have to agree, but my own lack of discipline is a problem. Besides, I would rather work on hamletworks.org and my other Shakespeare tasks.

Arthur arrived about 6:30 with one of his fellow workers, who wanted to see where Arthur spent his childhood. I was wearing short shorts, which, as Merwin informed me during this tour, did not show below my long t-shirt. Oh my. We started dinner with artichokes, then the mushroom-spinach things while the fish continued baking, and after them, Merwin and I were finished. We didn't even try the fish. Arthur, though, enjoyed it. I went to bed early as usual, but also as usual, though I am very sleepy, I cannot fall asleep. It was well after midnight last night.

This morning Arthur and I had a little together time, which was nice, and it is going to be a beautiful day. He will be working at the Long Island branch of his workplace, but coming home early. So I will skip the last meeting of the Columbia Shakespeare Seminar this season. Too bad. But I don't see Arthur that often. He will be leaving tomorrow morning with our Honda, which he will sell for us.

A good day ahead, with the Ladies who Lunch and then Arthur. I hope your day is excellent as well.

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment