Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day

What a family! Our dear friend Sophie, her husband Brendan, who used to live across the street from us (and thereby hangs a tale!), and their three adorable, well behaved, bright girls: Gracie, 9; Katie, 7; and Sara 5.

Dear Family and Friends,

It's been quiet weekend for us, but we did have dinner at the Lavins' beautiful house in nearby Lattingtown yesterday. Siohie says I taught her to make gazpacho, but of course she has added her own touches. She is just coming down from a very tough semester: three grad courses at Stony Brook, conference papers to write, work for NEMLA (Northeast Modern Language Association), for which she is an officer, and of course all her home responsibilities. She thrives on this schedule, but perhaps just a little less would be helpful. Now she and family are off to Ireland for a while, then she takes a break to go to the Huntington to present a paper, then a month or so in Paris. Not a bad life.

Tonight we had dinner at the Wild Fig with Laury. She still has a little over three weeks before her semester ends, and she has a multitude of responsibilities, but soon we will be able to work on the Macbeth chapter. She dropped off tonight our Measure for Measure with the copy-editor's suggestions. I have to go over these pages—as soon as I finish my proofs for my two essays. I know it sounds as if I do a lot of work, but it isn't so: I do a little bit, then go lie down and rest. I try to take a walk every day: yesterday with Vivian, today by myself. I have to admit that it's getting harder and harder. But I will keep trucking along.

Short one today,
Love,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment