Sunday, May 8, 2011

Nothing doing



Above, our four granddaughters, taken a couple of years ago when we last saw Sabrina. From left to right, Laura, now at the end of her PhD in organic chemistry; Michelle, in design, having graduated from Rhode Island School of Design about the time of this photo; Sabrina, now working in environmental chemistry, a job she got soon after graduating; and Rachael, a assistant cinematographer, also working since her graduation. The picture below is of Nathalie and her baby girl Sophie. After four boys she hit the jackpot! And never was a baby more doted on by all in the family. Nathalie is a super-energetic co-leader (with Sarah) of Shakespeare on film conferences in France (and much else!). I have been lucky enough to be able to participate in some of these great events.

Dear Friends and Family,

We had a good chance last night to consider the pros and cons of Tilles vs. Lincoln Center. The trip was certainly quicker, but once there we found, not too surprisingly when you think of the composition of the audiences for classical music, an entire parking lot close to Tilles devoted to the handicapped, so it was a bit of a walk even from this privileged spot. Once inside we had a rather long walk to the portal where we found our seats, so I am not sure how much better it was for me because once Merwin lets me off at the curb at Lincoln Center, I don't have far to go to get to my seat. I can't really judge because we go to matinees at Lincoln Center while the concert we went to was in the evening, and I was tired before I started—hoping to pep up with the joy of the music. There, I crept along, using the cane with my right hand and holding onto Merwin with my left.

Indeed the music was splendid: Emanuel Ax playing Schubert and Chopin according to the program but he substituted a piece or two of Debussy (I think) instead of the Chopin Mazurkas listed because either he or the printer had made a mistake in the program. In any case, it was lovely. Alone on stage with a huge grand piano, this large man dominated the instrument. His feet rarely used the pedals to enlarge the sound: his native skill could do piano and forte at will. The pieces were all quite short, as these things go, so altogether there were some 12 pieces, plus an encore, welcomed by an enthusiastic audience that called him out for bows again and again.

Among this huge, local crowd, we spied only three people we knew. Lou and Shirl, and Naomi from our synagogue. I met Lou in 1969 when I taught at Queens College, part time. Lou was then a returning student, coming to college to get a degree. We became close friends, and I was especially fond of his first wife, Alicia, a sterling person all around. At NCC years later, Lou sat in on some of my classes as a senior observer. I like the sense of community I get from seeing acquaintances at local events. But I must say that at Lincoln Center, too, we often ran into people we know.

Merwin and I went shopping today. As usual, the list is only part of the program when I am involved. We both got very tired. Margaret was kind enough to make up for her last week's absence by coming today. I have to shoo her out because she wants to clean everything!

Lovely day today. Hope it's so for you too. Back to Asimov on Hamlet.

Love,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment