Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Rainy, rainy day

Dear friends and family,

No walk outside today; it's pouring here. If it weren't for the extra-intense itching, I would take a stationary bicycle ride: I'm afraid I'll fall off when I try to scratch. My white blood count is up again; that's what causes the itching, and sure enough a call came in from Dr. K's office: the WBC is up and I am to up the amount of Hydrea (HU), the chemo I take. Fortunately, I tolerate this chemo well, and I can hope it will help.

I took out a couple of TLS issues to begin gathering material for hamletworks.org, our website, and sure enough there is another "it is said that" statement about a performance of Hamlet at sea in 1607. (Thank you Kathryn for the collection of TLS issues that will keep me busy for quite a while and for the alert abut the sea reference.) My essay on this topic, debunking what I believe is a forgery, has not yet been published by SQ, but do I think that will stop anyone? The idea is too delicious to give up. I wish I could hurry the publication because I know that the copy editors at SQ will have a lot to say, and I want to be around to respond. No way for me to hurry them, I suppose.

The rain is doing its best to strip the trees of all their leaves, leaving in view the scaffolding of branches and the evergreens beyond. The light is already dimming, and it isn't even 3. I hope to have a jolly 1st night of Hanuka, with the candle lighting and with potato latkes, served with sour cream and the apple compote that Sonia now makes for us weekly. At her home, she also makes the compote, delighted to have it as a ready snack without refined sugar. Having never had to cook, since her husband happily does it all, she has never known the joys of preparing food herself, but now she is trying all the recipes I am asking her to help me with.

I tried to make Greek string beans yesterday, but with insufficient string beans, some shredded broccoli to make up for that insufficiency, and an excess of onion, plus the lack of salt that I am not supposed to have (but that this dish absolutely requires), it was not super delicious. It usually is. Merwin soldiered on, finishing the small quantity on his plate. I'll eat it slowly through the week.

Elaine visited today, bringing treats from Diane’s Bakery, the best in its class around here. I enjoyed a scone very much with my lunch (Greek string beans). Thank you, Elaine! But as there is no way for me to reciprocate, I wish everyone would stop bringing things. I know everyone enjoys doing it because I would enjoying bringing goodies it if I were in their place and they were in mine. But still, enough!

Laury and I have already heard from our publisher, Ron, who didn't have too much to say beyond what we already expected about our Measure for Measure edition. He wants no pictures that have not derived from films, fewer words in the intro, etc. We will consult with the general editor about what he thinks we could cut, but I don't think the text cutting will be painful or difficult to accomplish. And Ron will snip out the extra photos. one from a book, another from the web, himself.

I thought I was finished with my essay for Laury's book on overhearing, but my projects tend to revolve around in my mind, and my mind’s eye saw that a section that I had not integrated completely needed the analysis that would explain its relevance. That sort of settling of a writing issue is very satisfying. I know this doesn't happen to those whose first drafts are their last ones. They are missing something, the pleasure of a tidy revision. Well, maybe not missing so much.

Nick C. wrote today to say he had heard from student coming to his university next fall saying that she had found hamletworks.org and liked it. She said, though, that the home page looked daunting at first and almost frightened her away. I see that it is very busy, but because I know it so well it seems readable/usable to me. Nick will consult with our brilliant Jeffery about making the intro more inviting. He will surely find a way. He already has a prize for the design of the site, but it can always be better. I welcome any thoughts any of you have about the design, and I am sure Jeffery would too.

Writing has taken my mind away from the itching, which, however, continues unabated in the background. Better days are coming, I hope.

Love to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment