Sunday, December 26, 2010

Birthday Joy

Dear friends and family,

Merwin had a grand birthday. He even got a chance once in a while to get a few words in. Harvey and Sandy came in the morning bearing all the fixings for lunch and dinner, including a huge salad and all sorts of appetizers. Sandy took over the kitchen, and Harvey picked up Rachael in Port Washington. We five ate lunch in my study, the brightest room in the house. Later in the afternoon Michelle, Dave and Lincoln arrived, and in the evening. in time for dinner, the last members of our party, from Brooklyn Sylvia, Marty, and Sylvia's brother Ron, who had driven there from Eire, PA, a rare occurrence. So there were eleven of us at dinner, a grand party. Sandy made tomato soup, Rachael made the kedgeree Merwin had requested and french fries, and Sandy of course had made the cake, which was gorgeous, chocolate frosting decorating the orange cake. And of course Sandy, who arranges flowers, had brought a beautiful bouquet. Many many people called to say "Happy Birthday. Too many to list.

The only down side was that Harvey decided that the threat of snow meant that they had to leave that night, and not stay over as planned. I had been looking forward to a foursome breakfast and a chance to chat. Sandy, who had worked so hard all day, bought the kitchen into pristine shape. The second load was in the dishwasher when I reappeared in the kitchen.

My day was not all that great physically. Lots of fatigue, lots of itching. I had to take to my bed quite often and eventually I had to ask everyone to leave me alone so I could try to sleep. But that was all background. The day belonged to Merwin, who enjoyed the attention. I loved the way Merwin enthusiastically explained his prostate treatments: he really likes the science of it. Of course he had other stories to tell also. I enjoyed his pleasure in being the center of attention and in the nice presents he got: 2 sweaters, 2 shirts, and a very good kitchen knife, lots of candy.

Now we are waiting for the storm, with lots of leftover food to keep us going. I am going to enjoy the day, looking forward to good things this coming week.

Love to all and Happy Holidays with family and friends,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment