Thursday, December 2, 2010

Not much new

Dear family and friends,

Joe P. wrote me yesterday with suggestions for getting more publicity for my inventions, the Enfolded Hamlet and Enfolded Hamlets (with an s), both with original 17th century spelling and orthography. Thank you, Joe, for your loving care. I am all for it! But I have little hope that the powers that be will be persuaded. Many will use my texts but will not cite them. That's just the way it is. Joe was concerned that Jesús's modernized version of the Enfolded Hamlet would displace my old-text version on our website hamletworks.org. ModEH (modernized Enfolded Hamlet) will make searches easier for many people who will be working with a modern version of the text.

Jeffery, our webmaster, pointed out that the NYT put hamletworks at the top of its Hamlet resource page (to the right). Whoopie! If you want to see it check out this URL:
http://topics.nytimes.com/topics/reference/timestopics/subjects/h/hamlet/index.html

Our site has so many good things. Nick has been very good at getting his students involved, to his great pleasure and theirs.

We lit the first candle for Hanuka last night. The first batch of potato pancakes came out very well. I shredded 2 Yukon Gold potatoes with skin on in the Cuisinart with a small piece of onion (I did this sitting at the table), put the mixture into a bowl and added the juice of a half lemon, 2 eggs, salt (not too much but can't do without it), a pinch of baking powder, and lots of pepper. I had Wesson oil heating while I made the mix, and when it was shimmering I made little pancakes, not too thick, a heaping tablespoon. I fried them until they were very brown because the shredded potato does not cook as quickly as grated potato. Instead of apple sauce, we had apple compote and sour cream.

Kathryn and Toby will be here for lunch today, and I think I will make another batch for them, although they are bringing food as well. And maybe they will like the Greek string beans.

My plan for the day otherwise is to work a little on my essay for Laury and then turn to hamletworks.org. And somehow to ignore the itching. No rain today, so I will go for a walk with Sonia and do my exercises with her as well. Quiet times.

Love to all on this holiday season.
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment