Friday, December 24, 2010

Feeling good

Dear friends,

A December 20 press release of Incyte drug trial. Very good results. If you would like to see what it's all about, check this site:

http://investor.incyte.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=69764&p=irol-newsArticle_print&ID=1509517&highlight=

MAYBE this will be available from our Dr. M when we go to Mt. Sinai on Dec. 30th. From the description, it seems perfect for my condition, Myelo Fibrosis. This is no longer a double-blind trial drug. I would get the real thing if I am accepted. The problem is that when I saw the wonderful, Shakespeare-loving Dr. Raza over a year ago, she would not put me on the trial drug because my blood values were off the chart. That's when we left her for the CEP-701 trial at Mr, Sinai, but it did not help the main symptoms.

Today I am sitting here with a smile on my face. I fear that it is not reality-based but results from the Lexapro my doctor wants me to try again to ease the itching. After 2+ weeks on this drug, the itching remains outrageously uncomfortable, but I am sleeping better and feeling more hopeful in general. That's because the drug is supposed to counteract depression. That's not my problem, but it also has side effects that could help my itching. OK, I'll take it for a while.

I also started on Tramadol HCL, suggested by the neurologist, Dr. O, to take as needed in anticipation (not after it starts) of foot and leg pain. Like any narcotic, it has its unpleasant side effects. If it works, the side effects would be worth it. We'll see.

Today is the first day this week that we don't have one or more visits to doctors. Yesterday Merwin had his first shot of the hormone he will be on for the next 2-3 years. Fortunately, once he gets started, he will only have to get it every 3 or 6 months. After three months on the hormone, he starts the radiation therapy. He's as upbeat as ever. He laughs at my jokes.

Dr. O called with the results of the Thoracic MRI yesterday: the T9 vertibra, is, as we know, crushed (the fall on July 23rd did that) and touching but not compressing the spinal cord. I had surgery at Mt. Sinai last August to stabilize the crushed vertebra and keep it away from the spine, so I will ask my neurosurgeon, Dr. M, whom I am also seeing on Dec. 30 at Mt. Sinai, if this condition is a change.

Yesterday, I had a second, a pelvic MRI. Why couldn't I have both on the same day and save me from having to go twice to the MRI facility? Because Medicare would not pay for both unless they were separate procedures. Crazy. A place to save money: pay for both and save on other costs, to say nothing of the hours waiting. The MRI tech praised me for my stoicism and kindness. What was special about my behavior? Nothing. Just my usual self. But evidently, some patients he sees are nasty. Why? What would be the point? At least I have figured out (and checked with the tech) that when the noise stops I can scratch an itch. I think everyone is disposed to be kind to me because I walk slowly with a cane. I don't use it at home, but it helps me in the outside world. And late in the day, I welcome the wheelchairs in the doctors' offices.

This blog has been very medical. Let me say then that Laury came by with a printout of Walter's comments on my Measure for Measure paper. He likes it and made some lovely comments, including some questions. I sent it back with my responses—and I think it is done! I also read and commented on Laury's review of Julie Taymor's Tempest film. I haven't seen the film (of course), but from Laury's review I think I have a good idea of it. That's the purpose of a review, of course.

With Sonia's help I also made a new dish, an egg noodle, baby broccoli, mushroom, sour cream and cottage cheese casserole. That was our lunch, but Merwin didn't eat his portion until about 4 o'clock, when we returned from the MRI. I had two portions, one before and one after the MRI trip. I eat a lot! It's a fight not to lose weight. Fortunately, I like eating. I finished off the leftovers for breakfast this morning.

Now for a day of very welcome rest in preparation for the very heavy day tomorrow, heavy but good: Merwin's birthday!

Happy holidays to all,
Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment