Friday, October 28, 2011

This and That

Michèle and Raymond are having a good time with two of their grandsons, the ones who live in Le Harve. Above, they are at a huge fair. We admire their stamina—and from their communications to us—their joy in the growing pleasures of participating in the lives of these developing children.

Dear Friends and Family,

My communications are not coming very fast, I know. But there is little to say, or I have dried up. That's the more likely reason for the dearth of blog-updates.

We learned a few days ago that Mt. Sinai had inadvertently missed one of the blood tests they needed for the trial. What with one thing and another, we didn't get around to getting a blood draw until today, Friday, and the results won't reach Dr. K. until Monday, and to Dr. M. thereafter. If that is OK, then I think it will be a "go," perhaps as soon as next Thursday.

I had wanted to go to the City this weekend, but Merwin did not want to encounter the Halloween parades. So if we don't begin the trial next week, I would like to go to the apartment.

Ilona went with me to Tappan Beach and the Sycamore walk today. She wanted to see how to get there from her home nearby. I think it's likely that Merwin and I will run into her and Manny sometimes on that walk. It was a high tide today, sun glistening on the water, clouds soft and scattered.

I finished another Donna Leon mystery, and have begun (E. are you reading this?) a Trollope novel I found on my book shelf, The Vicar of Bullhampton, not the more famous Vicar of Wakefield and not as good, I think. It's a lovely reprint with drawings reproduced from a 19th-century printing. I am especially interested in it because Sophie is writing her disertation about 19th-20th-century literature, that is, she will be writing when she finishes her course work next semester.

  • Tomorrow we are going to our first HD Met opera, a favorite, Don Giovanni.
  • Now I must turn to Macbeth, Laury is returning from Staunton tomorrow, and I hope to have something for her for our chapter.
  • Dawn, you are high on my list!
Love to all,
Bernice

1 comment:

  1. Oh Bernice: maybe you should just spend your energy on your more worthy projects!! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete